Find
Notify
Tools

275 Rigby question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

A while back someone mentioned that Quality Cartridge makes 275 Rigby head stamped brass.
Well I bought a batch, and after I explain the problem, I have a question/request.

I had always heard (from several sources) that the 275 Rigby was the same as the 7X57 with some minor rim changes. Well the brass I got from Qual Cart won't chamber in either of My Rugers as the shoulder is too far forward. I have re-sized a few but it takes a lot of lube and I get shoulder dents. They offered to re-size the stuff if I send it back and pay postage both ways. I'd rather not add more expense as the stuff wasn't cheap to start with (close to $30 per 20).

Does anyone have an original 275 Rigby rifle I could send a unloaded piece of brass to who's willing to see if it will chamber in their rifle? Or a cartridge or drawing I could compare the new stuff to? I'll return anything sent and you could keep any brass I send.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

DRSS member

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 275 Rigby is exactly the same dimention as the 7X57mm mauser. Original mil-spec 7X57 used 170gr bullets, where the 275 had smaller bullet weights available. You shouldn't have to pay for crap!!! Qual-Cart should pay for their mistake, not you. That is B.S.!!! I'll never buy any product from them. I would tell them that they can kiss my hiney.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Somewhere a long time back, I read that early 7X57mm chambers, such as those in the Remington Rolling Block rifles had a slightly different headspace measurement than the later Mausers, and that a case fired in one would not fit into a mauser chamber. I later found this to be the case with at least one of the Rolling Blocks- empty cases from factory ammo fired in it would not fit a Mauser chamber. The head-to-shoulder dimension was too long.

Is it possible that some .257 Rigby cases were made using this dimension instead of the later one? If so, it might explain the problem you discovered.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I have two original Rigby 275's both very very early SN rifles ( 1** and 5** )

I also have original Eley Kynoch "uncharged" dummy rounds in a box of ten that was supplied in the case of the lower Sn'd rifle.

If you wish to send me a case I would be happy to see how it chambers and how it compares in measurements to my fired cases from the Rigby.

I just knew someone here would be able to help out.

ALF, please PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple of the Qual-Cart pieces of brass.

TIA

Roi

DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

DRSS member