THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best caliber brass to resize into 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted
A buddy has suggested that I re size some 30'06 or 35 whelen brass as a cheap way to create some 9.3x62 practice hulls...or is it best to just buy some Graff 9.3x62 brass that are going for close to $40 @ 100ct nowdays... and long term should I just go on and pony up for some Lapua or other euro 9.3 brass that are over twice as high as the Graff brass?
A. is this doable and practiable?
B. pro's & con's - isn't there a slight difference in the case head size?
C. best brand brass to use ie most malleble?
D. do I have to anneal the necks of the resized brass?
Thanks
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's certainly practical to use other brass. I use 06 brass fro my 338-06, but I think the necks are going to get a bit thin going up to 9.3 so I would suggest 35WHelen. Brass lasts along time in rounds like the 9.3x62. I would probably just pony up & buy quality 9.3x62 & be done with it, Lapua is tops. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Depends on what your time is worth. Purchase 35Whelen brass then you must neck it up past 9.3 then form a shoulder to allow you to fireform or jam the bullet into the lands (my far distant second choice). Trim the cases back. Oops add bullet, primer & bullet. Makes new 9.3 brass look real cheap to me even if your time is free.

I have not used the Grafs 9.3 brass but have not heard a problem. If you want Lapua go for it. Doubt you will ever wear out 100 cases in a 9.3. I have never really understood why someone will spend $100s on the rifle, scope, rings etc and then worry about $35 extra for brass.

I also have never understood practice brass & loads and hunting brass & loads in a hunting rifle. Why have two types of brass work up two loads. Practice with one hunt with the other. I work up a hunting load. All range time including 3-4-500 yds is done with that load. It is only the way that one performs that I'm interested in.

If you don't over work and care for your brass 6-10 loading should not be a problem. That is a lot of shooting in a 9.3.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when i had one i used G.I. 06 brass & it worked fine

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and like the Grafs.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I too am using the Grafs brass and so far seems to be great and it is so cheap that there is no reason to mess with fireforming something else to "make" 9.3 brass.
Just go online to Graf and sons and order it up.
Get some of those cheap PRVI bullets too while you are at it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've used Remington .30-06 brass and just run them thru my RCBS sizing die. Works fine, I just started with a reduced load and Speer 270gr bullets then loaded them to the max. This brass lasted over eight to ten loadings then I tossed them.

Grafs or Lapua works fine, I've used both with perfect satisfaction.

If you're going to be shooting in a setting where you might lose a bunch of brass or have tons of .30-06 empties, by all means use them. If not buy the Grafs brass and just go shooting...
Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used Remington .30-06 brass and just run them thru my RCBS sizing die.

Curious what you are headspacing on. Confused Maybe I need a cup of coffee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Graf's. Have done all my load development and hunting, in Europe and Africa, with it. Have not had a problem.

You might have to use another sheel holder as the rim can be a bit thick on the Graf's brass. That is the only "problem" I've encountered with Graf's brass.

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he makes them long and spaces on the bullet in the lands??

To get got 9,2x62 Brass, buy 200 Lapua cases they are good for at least 10 and max 30 reloads, that is between 2000 and 6000 rnds, ie the barrels life spann.

/C

quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I've used Remington .30-06 brass and just run them thru my RCBS sizing die.

Curious what you are headspacing on. Confused Maybe I need a cup of coffee.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it can be done using most of the .473" case sizes as long as they are long enough.

There'll be some attention to detail depending on what cartridge you use to re-size as mentioned above.

Ken Waters in his Pet Loads advises against it claiming that 9.3x62 brass is stronger in the head area that vanilla-flavored .30/06 or .35 Whelen. You'll have to be the judge of that yourself.

For my thinking - WHY? 9.3x62 is common enough and like most mention above; why put your rifle through TWO shots to get ONE sized case when they can be had without fire-forming?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote