Find
Notify
Tools

Update on Impala Bullets.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
Hi, while ago there was a post on impala bullets.

I responded with :

One bad thing we have seen is that the bullet richochet's if hitting big bone. Saw this on an impala female a long shot hit her vertebrae and the bullet exited and hit the ground at a 30 degree angle away from her to our left we were shooting from an elevated position. So if she was in a herd it could have hit another very easy without us knowing it.

Here is a pic of two 303 impala shot today at the range.

No while I dont condem these bullets just watch out when shooting in a herd or what is behind the animal you are shooting at.
My friend who was shooting with me today say he saw the same thing but with a warthog and some luck. The warthog was running away and he shot it from behind it cut 5 of the left side ribs then veered off 60 degrees to the right and hit the neck. He does a lot of problem animal control and shoots a lot on running animals. Slaughtered the point was also bent. If the bullet went the other way he would have had a wounded pig on his hands with his 9.3 x 62.

Other times he had the bullet go perfectly straight on full back to front shots on pigs. So it doesnt always happen but it can. So beware and make sure of your shots.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting photos. Sort of confirms my thinking that slow 'n heavy = reliable. Hell, I hope Gerhard Schultz doesn't read this! I must say I love his 270gr Flatnose in my .375

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote