Find
Notify
Tools

Great made Greater
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Scouts new project
I have been messing around with the idea of a simpler cheaper wildcat.. I have to thank my friend Wildcatjunkie for the challenge. He gave me some samples of a 8mm 06improved. We had a big discussion on modifying a great cartridge a while back. carcano91 to name one insisted on leaving it or going to an 8x64. Well, I got to thinking a bit, and figured every one was correct in there own way. So, I decided to figure out a My way answer to this great challenge.
Now, I don�t know if this is a combo of great things, or just so simple it is stupid... Ready.. I made an extended 8x57 Mauser LONG>>>> In fact I went with a 64mm case. I used a 270 federal case to work up my creation. I moved the shoulder way up and shortened the neck. I basically added 7mm to the base.
To help me explain, this is how I did it.
1. Opened up an 270 to 8mm
2. Used an old surp barrel to hold the case.
3. Drilled a snug fitting whole in some hard oak to hold the extra brass hanging out of the barrel and to keep the brass from being crushed under pressure.
4. Used a fiberglass rod, that just fit in the 8mm bore.
5. Filled the case with 40 wt oil water is to thin
6. Installed a 8mm bullet upside down into the neck filled with oil.
7. Inserted the case into the chamber
8. Set the barrel and case in wood holder
9. Used the fiber dowel to force the bullet into the case to fill the chamber of the surp barrel. The barrel will rise up a little, but your going to resize it any how.
10. Removed oil, bullet, cleaned, and sized the neck to same dimensions as an 8x57.
Poof,, 8x57 long..
I weighed all cases empty, and then filled with water to get a average increase of available charge weight.
Standard 8x57 64.3
8-06 70.8
8-06 Ackley 72.0
long 8x57 71.8

Now you ask why the heck would I go to all that work? Simple, why not.. I could not afford Ackley dies, reamer work, and I already owned the 8x57 die. I can load one for my standard, and one for my long with a simple 7mm spacer.
Here is the only set back. Now I need to make a reamer to extend the case neck into the bore of the barrel.. Any one got an extra reamer I can grind down?
Midway is out at this time... Or if you got a spare barrel, test it and get back to me. Should be close to an Ackley. Then we can Ackley the long and get even more space.... That would be like another extra 2 grains or so...
Any one fire forming cases should look into hydraulic them it is cheap, and really isn�t difficult.. I was amazed. I am going to buld a little easier tool to hydraulic all the cases.

Scout....

Posted on wildcat too

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you get you barrel made it would be easier to fireform them using bullseye powder and cornmeal topped of with a tight toilet paper wad. Just like making a 300 Gibbs out of a 30-06

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fire forming the case is still necessary for a perfect shape. But by moving the shoulder up before you fire form should reduce case stretching, and guarantee a better fit between bolt and shoulder.

Scout....

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote