New
Find
Notify
Tools

264 Newton
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have recent load data on the 264 Newton cartridge? We are trying to get together some data on this round. The rifle was recently purchased by a friend of mine and the only data we have is for Norma 205. Thanks Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the 256 Newton ?
It uses 264 caliper bullets.

Posts: 52 | Location: Harlingen, Tx, USA | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confuson. It is a 256 Newton!!!My mistake. It does shoot a 264 dia. bullet.We are having a hard time finding load data. It is alittle smaller than a 6.5/06 case. Thanks Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My older copy of Cartridges Of The World lists these loads.
120gr bullet,55gr IMR 4350, 2980 fps
130gr bullet, 46gr IMR 4895, 2900 fps
140gr bullet,57gr IMR 4831, 2890 fps

There is not much info on this oldie but goody cartridge, but I think I would start with 6.5 x 55 max loads and work up a grain at a time watching for pressure signs. providing you have good strong action on your rifle. Hope this will help you a little. Dale

Posts: 52 | Location: Harlingen, Tx, USA | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You can start with starting N205 loads, substituting Norma MRP for the N205, and develop loads from there. Alliant Re 22 should also work, IF YOU USE N205 STARTING LOADS. In the 7X57mm Mauser, I have found Alliant Re 22 to be slightly slower than old Norma N205 or current MRP. The comparison might not be as valid in a smaller bore diameter cartridge, however.

<thomas purdom>
posted
I would highly recommend being very careful with the load data for this cartridge. My little brother bought a mint-condition, drop-dead beautiful Tom Sprague Mashburn Arms .256 Newton. He does not handload, but I do, so I did a ton of inquiry about this cartride before attempting to handload for it. First, you have to fireform cases. We used .270 Winchester cases through the RCBS .256 Newton dies, then trimmed a bunch of brass from the elongated neck, then fireformed. The old Number 1 Speer book lists 57 grains of IMR 4831 as a max load with the 140 grain bullet. We loaded 15 percent below max and were blowing primers all over the place. I kept bringing it more and more down to eventually 47 grains with the 140 grain 6.5 Hornady bullet. Good accuracy with a velocity of 2,675 fps. It seems that powders were a lot hotter back when the old books were published. So start very, very low and work your way up. Good luck. The best powder I found to work with this cartridge in 140 grain bullets was the H4831. Tom Purdom [Big Grin]