New
Find
Notify
Tools

R 17/200 N/PART
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just for those that are intrested i got my preliminary results from firing a few rounds with R17 and the 200 gn nosler in the 06 pressure barrel
56 GNS R17 200 GN NOSLER
VEL 2723... PRESSURE 639OO

Regards

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report....doesn't seem like too much magic in this case.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KRAKY
on par with my better powders R22/MRP ,the one advantage when useing R17 is there is plenty of room in the case , one does not need to compress the powder, and 2700 in the 06 is a pretty potent load

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Daniel wave, quit wasting that RE17 in an 06 and try some in the 375H&H. That is if you haven't shot up all those 375s yet Wink When Alliant gets around to the testing, it will be found that 17 will be the "it" powder for the H&H. Gaday mate

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIKE
i plan to use all those 300gn 375 proj in the 375 ruger, im waiting for Satterlee to finish the actions etc etc, but its like getting blood out of a stone to get work out of him...i wont go on!!
i agree with you the R17 might just be the powder in the 375Ruger/H&H...i think i will get 2700 with ease from a 24 inch tube in the 375 ruger
How life after bullet making
Daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW-I ran some RE17 under some 150 e tips in my 25" tikka t3 300 win this week. 73 grains did 3340fps which is right on the nuts with quickload which thought I might be running about 64k pressure. There were no signs of pressure even though using fed brass.
Accuracy was iffy but I was shooting off a bench that didn't fit me worth a crap so I'm reloaded to try again. I do have to say that this bullet with the bc that excedes most 165's could be one flat shooting combo for anything in North America.
I also tried re17 in a new 308. That gun has alot of freebore and everything was running slower than I thought it would that day. I can see I have to go right to max published loads and then add a tad from there. The only powder in that gun that did what I thought it would was tac which seems a bit hotter than data would suggest.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got more time for the fun stuff now. I only test what I am interested in; interesting cartridges, new powders all at a slow fun pace Wink

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIKE
i guess you have earned your free time enjoy it Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
kraky
i pressure tested the 180 E TIP in the 06 , and it was a disaster, i could only get 60 gns of R22 into the case , vel was about 2750, presure was under 60,000 psi but i could not get any more powder in, the 180 e tip is just so long and takes up so much case capacity its not funny, this is where R17 comes in real nice because i basically am getting the same vel/pressure with both 180 &200 gn noslers as i was with R22 and MRP but with 3-4 grains less powder, so it just leaves one with a bit more room when playing with mono bullets.Im not to keen on the E tips, as i think they should have had groves like the BARNES TSX AND TTSX, and i have not used the Hornady offering yet , and it appears hornady is making momo proj for reminton
Daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I played with the 180 etip and re17. I didn't want to push it too hard because I suspected with the really long bullet it would make more pressure....kinda like the older barnes xbt's without rings.
My records show that with 52.5 re17 under the etip I got 2710 out of a 23" barrel. I got 2" groups at 200 yds. That same day I had loaded some 180 Hornady bt interlocks with 55.5 re 17 and they did 2742 so it would sure appear that you're correct about needing some "pressure relief" in the design of that long 180.
I think you're right that with re17 the 180 etip can be pushed more but I just don't think the 30-06 needs a big long 180 grain monolithic to perform.
I think I like what I'm seeing with the 150 etip. It doesn't seem to make significantly more pressure than other 150's---it has a bc that beats most 165's and is a tie with alot of 180's...and with 90-95% wt retention should perform like most 180 lead cores. BTW with that same gun and re17 I got 150 tsx's up to 3100fps with no pressure signs with re17. If I could get the 150 e tips to even 3000 fps...that would be a great combo. And....I like being to buy them on occasion at the bivwak/shooters pro shop site cheap as blem bullets.