Find
Notify
Tools

Data similar for 416 Rigby/Hoffman
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Tossing around various 416 (Rigby, Remington, Hoffman). Because I want a lefty and don't trade guns I have to be 100% sure before I lay my money down. So was wondering about the Hoffman. Don't see much data for it but I believe the case is essentially a belted Rigby. Can Rigby data be used, and if so what modifications should I keep in mind?

Reason I wonder about the Hoffman is because I thought maybe brass would be cheaper. That's if I can easily resize 375H&H cases. If not it's probably just as expensive all around. The Remington would be good to, but I wonder about pressure problems. It appeals because it appears to reach the same speeds with less powder than the Rigby.

As you can see I'm a little confused. Can someone lay out the pros and cons for me? There's no factory rifles to my specs in 416 so whatever I do, it will involve some level of custom work.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 416 Hoffman is essentially the same thing as the 416 Remington. It is not anywhere close to a belted Rigby...that would be a 416 Weatherby magnum.
The Remington is slightly shorter from head to shoulder than the Hoffman, and can be fired in a Hoffman chamber, making that the best way to get brass for the Hoffman.
In today's world I really see no reason for anyone to make up a 416 Hoffman, the Remington does exactly the same thing at exactly the same pressures. If that level of performance is not enough then the Rigby is your answer. It comes with a lot of excess baggage though, ie high priced brass, more powder to load it, bigger and more expensive actions to house it.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I guess I was more than a little confused. That should settle it. The 416 Remington is the answer to all my questions.

THANKS

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rem Mag is a very good all around gun for Large Game.Midway has the brass for about $170 for 500.I would get some nickel brass while they still have it.I have loaded one 416 rem mag hull 17 times,thats pretty good.You can shoot Barnes 300 grain x bullets and the 350 gr x bullets for long range.The 300 grain will go 2900 fps that is fast for that big of a bullet.I like the 350 grain speer mag tip for practice and hunting anything this side of a cape buffalo I guess.Its is very accurate and they are about $20 for 50.I have also shot Barnes Monlithic 400 gr bulles and 410 gr Woodleighs.I have both 24" and 22" barrels on my 416 rem mags.I do wish I had a all stainless 416 Rem mag.I have found that the H-S stocks kick was less than wood stocks.My Remington 416 only weigh 8.5 pounds with scope and loaded .They kick alot less than my Winchester 416 Express rifle which is 2 pounds heavier.I have shot all three of my 416 a little over 2000 times.I use a standing bench shooting off a bull bag on a milk crate.I have really inproved my game shooting doing this.I also see how fast I can fire off four shots as quick and as accurate as I can.Reloader 15 is the powder for the 416 Rem mag it will work in all the loads.I use Federal 215 Mag Rifle primers in all my 416 rem mag loads.It is a hard big gun to beat.I have shot some very small groups at 300 yards.I have used Burris Signature Zee Rings on Steel Weaver Bases.The one rifle and Nikon 3x9 scope is still going after 1600 shots.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote