New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 cal. 250 grain Barnes Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does Barnes still make a 250 grain 30 caliber bullet? If so who sells them? Where can I get the best price?
Midway and midsouth shooter's supply do not sell them.

Thanks,

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
whoa, there friend...

what twist is your barrel? the barnes 350 is longer than I-10 between sanantonio and elpaso

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel twist is the standard 1:10 twist. I was asking about the 250 not the 350, just for clarity sake.

Crowrifle, thank you for the link, but the bullets are no longer available on that site.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
David,
Sorry, I typoed on 350... the barnes TWO-FIDDIE is huge... i doubt a 1/10 would stablize it, under 3200fps...

write barnes and ask em

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeoso,
I figured it was a typo, just wanted to make sure. I want the 250 for a 300 win mag. Hornady's 220s shoot great, so thought i would try the 250, but seems like Barnes is phasing out their original bullets and pushing their copper bullets.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Just for reference, Sierra makes a 240 MK but they also caution that it needs a 1 in 9 twist barrel. 220's is probably the limit for the 1 - 10 twist you have but let us know what happens.

Later,

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Length, not weight, dictates how fast a twist must be. If a 1/9 will stabilize that 240 Sierra, I'd bet the 1/10 will stabilize a Barnes Original 250 gr. round-nose! It has to be shorter than the Sierra 240!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Byron,
I have not tried the Sierra 240. I usually avoid boat tail bullets as a general rule. I never have been a big fan of MatchKings. MatchKings may be great bullets, but they never have appealed to me. The few I have shot were no more accurate than hornady's flat based spire points.
Thank you for your help, though.

Did Barnes discontinue all of their Originals? They are still listed on their website, but cannot be purchased direct like the other bullets can, unless I am missing something.

Thanks Again to all,

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes 250 will be easier to stabilize than the 240 SMK. The 240 works just fine in a 1:10 down to 2800 fps.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<North of 60>
posted
250 Barnes stabalize in a 1-10 300 H&H at the2400 to 2600 ft/sec muzzle velocity I tested.
You will be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Barnes said this bullet was discontinued and they sold out about 2 weeks ago.

Is anyone aware of an online source or retail store that may still have some in stock?
If so please let me know.