THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington or Winchester 7mm Rem Mag brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
Which is better, Remington or Winchester 7mm Rem Mag brass? Or, is there little difference in the two?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been very impressed with the Remington brass I have purchased lately but the .223 and 7mm Rem Mag Winchester brass has been good especially for the price. However, I have not ever purchased any Remington made 7mm Rem Mag brass so I can't make a comparison. Just choosing between the two based on recent experience I would go Winchester.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington brass is "generally" a little thicker than Winchester brass. A couple of years ago I preferred Winchester, now I like the least expensive!

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found no consistent advantages of one over the other.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I've found no consistent advantages of one over the other.

I agree with that.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During 2005-2006 I purchased Winchester brass in several different calibers . I no longer purchase anything Winchester !. Brass had dents severely buggerd mouths , and what wasn't damaged didn't reload near as many times as my older winchester brass ??. Something was wrong Very Very wrong .

So I bought Remington Lapua RWS even Federal and am still using most ALL of them after SEVERAL reloadings !. So NO Winchester for me NO MORE !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you check out some of the threads on brass here at AR, you will find evidence that the headstamp on brass cases is not necessarily a true indicator of WHO manufactured them.

Sometimes Norma makes both "brands", sometimes they (Remmie & W-chester) make their own, and sometimes they make each other's. You and I have no way of knowing which made what in any given instance.

That being the case (pun intended), my preference is whichever brand is on sale when I need it.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
I have made some tests for both, but don't find really diference. For me they are the same quality.
The only advise is to buy a good quantity of one, so you have even the same brass in the time. This advise is also for powder and primers.

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will agree Buy the best . AC; That very well may be true I just know what happened in my case Pun unintended .

Now I have Winchester cases from way back and still using some of them with NO Problems , it was just the 2005-2006 purchasing and I have NO WAY of knowing when they were really manufactured . As they don't date stamp heads .

I've found purchasing Laupa is more cost effective for myself as I'm able to reload them more times without annealing them . As far as accuracy goes I can't say for certain who's are better . I don't neck turn or prep like BR shooters do , I do a reasonable job of prepping for Sub MOA and am some what satisfied with that .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:

I've found purchasing Laupa is more cost effective for myself as I'm able to reload them more times without annealing them.

Lapua doesn't make 7mm mag brass.

lapua brass pics

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a caliber where I liked Rem brass better. It does seem brittle, I seem to get case neck cracks quicker, have had some 7x57 brass pull the whole end off in the sizing die. That is the end below the neck, not at the expansion ring.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote