New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lil'Gun in 44 Mag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Data is not listed on the Hodgdon web site for Lil'Gun powder for a 44 Mag. rifle, but they list loads for pistols. I'm not sure why that is. In my Ruger model 96 lever gun 23.5 gr Lil'Gun (1 gr. under max.)and a 240 gr. Nosler JSP put four shots in one ragged hole at 50 yds. MV is 1860 fps. Has anyone else tried this powder in the 44 Mag.?

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the data is the same max pressure is max pressure.
lil gun is just slow enough to be a better choice in a rifle length bbl.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN my rossi 92 357 with 180's
my marlin 44 mag with 340's
and my rossi 92 480 ruger with 355 to 450 grn lil'gun is the best powder I've tried!

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon load data is for revolvers maybe. It might allow for gas venting in the cylinder to barrel gap.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used Lilgun in a large caliber handgun-type round in a rifle, but I have used it in a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. The same lot of Lilgun which exhibited perplexingly inconsistent velocities in a .22 Hornet was at the same time one of the most consistent and highest velocity loads I've ever used in the Blackhawk. I would see no reason that Lilgun wouldn't work just fine in a .44 Magnum rifle.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lil'Gun gained a reputation for extreme forcing cone wear in revolvers. I never shot it enough to see any wear, but many users swore it produced far more wear than H110 etc. and they refuse to use it. True or not, that shouldn't be an issue in a rifle barrel. Hornady lists rifle loads for the .44 Magnum, I suspect that Hogdon just hasn't re-shot any .44 rifle data for quite awhile.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect that Hogdon just hasn't re-shot any .44 rifle data for quite awhile.

That makes sense!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote