Find
Notify
Tools

Fed 215 primer question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted
Hi all, normally I shoot nothing but Fed 215M's in all my Magnums from 7mmRM on up to 416RM, I am still having a hard time finding them up here, but I can find lots of 215M Match grade.

My question is this, would I need to lower my current powder charges, if so what do you suggest? 5%? Are these primers ALWAYS interchangeable with the normal 215M? Typically speaking is it the ignition rate of the primer, or do they burn hotter? whatsthe diff?

Seeing as I can find alot of these right now (several thousand), I wonder if I should just buy 'em up & use them in all my magnums from this day forward? very soon I will be taking hold of a new 458 Lott, maybe it could use nothing but the Match grade 215"s?

Thanks

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only real difference is the quality control of the primers. That said, there could always be a slight difference in how hot a primer is from one lot number to another just as in gun powder. Load a few of the match primers with 1gr less powder and compare velocity if you have a means to. Then, work from there. I never assume anything when it comes to lots of pressure near my face.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Federal 215 and 215M primers would be interchangeable. There is no need to download for safety in cartridges of the size you're reloading for when switching between these primers.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Fed 215 M in all my Large rifle mag primer reloadings.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
They both have the same burn rate. As someone mentioned the QC is the only difference.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried magnum primers in a few 30 caliber magnum barrels but standard ones always gave the best accuracy. The mildest large rifle made delivered the best accuracy; RWS5341. The RWS magnum large rifle primer may be the hottest ones ever but they didn't produce accurate ammo.

While "match" grade primers may well produce smaller muzzle velocity spreads than standard ones, using a stronger firing pin spring pretty much even out any differnce. Primers tend to get very uniform when smacked really hard by the firing pin. As firing pin springs weaken over time, their detonation (very fast burn rate) tends to get erratic and accuracy goes south. I'd replace firing pin springs at least every two years; use one rated 10 to 15 percent stronger for better accuracy.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bart B.:
While "match" grade primers may well produce smaller muzzle velocity spreads than standard ones, using a stronger firing pin spring pretty much even out any differnce. ...
I really can't see how using a Stronger Spring will compensate for "more" Priming Compound in a Magnum Primer compared to a Non-Magnum Primer. Obviously time for the old bsflag

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoot nothing but Fed 215M's in all my Magnums from 7mmRM on up to 416RM, I am still having a hard time finding them up here, but I can find lots of 215M Match grade.

We need to clear up the nomenclature here a bit I think.

Federal makes Large Rifle primers designated as Federal # 210 primers. They make a "match grade" large rifle primer designated as Federal # 210M primers (the "M" meaning "match grade").

They also make Large Rifle Magnum primers designated Federal # 215 primers. They make a "match grade" large rifle magnum primer designated as Federal # 215M primers (the "M" meaning "match grade").

So...if you were shooting Federal # 215M's before...you were already shooting "match grade" primers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
My bad on the M designation, I didnt mean to put it on the 1st time, prior to now my primers have all been just 215

Thanks for all the replies folks, looks like it will be 215M for everything going forward.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I use Fed 215's and Fed 215M's interchangeably, just not mixed in the same batch of reloads. Have noticed no difference.

The Fed 215 is the best primer there is IMO, and you don't have to get a super sized extra strong firing pin spring to get all the ignition you need!

jumping animal

that's almost as good as the time you said if you hold your rifle tighter it would give you more velocity Bart! rotflmo

bsflag x2

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mike form old North Fork bullets told me once in all of the load work he had done with chronographs...that could never tell any difference between Fed # 215's and # 215M's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote