New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal Decapping dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any real difference in durability, quality between the manufacturers?

Or should I just take an ice pick and go at it myself?? Big Grin

Don't worry, I'll be sure to hold my pinkies out when pushing on the live ones....

Thanks for any info.

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
when pushing on the live ones....

Spray the live primers with WD-40 to deactivate them.
All major brands of Uni decappers work well.
I use RCBS and if ya break a pin,it is easy and cheap to replace.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The WD40 may or may not deactivate the primers. As far which die is best, I think the universal decappers are all about the same. I've used a Lee for years and it works just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS universal decapper. But to be honest to you, the way the die works, I can't see much difference from brand to brand. There would probably be more difference in the quality of the different die lock rings, than in how well the die itself works...

FWIW - mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the decapper-lubing dies?

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
All I know is that the Lyman model is not tall enough to deprime a 375 H&H case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
quote:
when pushing on the live ones....

Spray the live primers with WD-40 to deactivate them.
All major brands of Uni decappers work well.
I use RCBS and if ya break a pin,it is easy and cheap to replace.

This may be a dumb question, but why bother deactivating the primer- why not just "dry fire" them in your rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not spray a primer with anything to "de-activate it". I learned that lesson last year.

I had 2 cases of different calibers that had live primers in them. Instead of just putting them in a gun and firing off the primers, I decided to submerse them in water. Later, after I was pretty sure they had to be dead I took one and began to cut the case. The primer exploded and embedded itself in the side of my index finger.

I stood there looking at my finger with the primer cup literally buried in it. The primer was forced into my finger blunt side first. (ever been stabbed with a spoon??)

The fun part was grabbing the edge of that primer cup and pulling the whole primer out of my finger. I hurts just to think about it.

Primers get all kinds of respect around here....

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Anyone tried the decapper-lubing dies?

I haven't seen one, but the only reason I use a universal depriming die instead of depriming while sizing is so I can dump the deprimed case in the tumbler for cleaning. So lubricating the case before I tumble it does not accomplish anything for me.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have the Lee universal decap die.

It works perfectly well (although I hate the Lee lock rings, so I replaced it with a nice Hornady one).

It is quite robust. I was depriming some brass I picked up on the range, and after about a dozen, happened to look at the primer pocket after decapping.

The brass was Berdan primed! The Lee was punching a nice central hole right between the 2 smaller Berdan flash holes. No damage to the decapping die either.

I think I spend almost $US 8.00 for the die. What more could you ask for 8 bucks?

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trouble:
I will not spray a primer with anything to "de-activate it". I learned that lesson last year.

I had 2 cases of different calibers that had live primers in them. Instead of just putting them in a gun and firing off the primers, I decided to submerse them in water. Later, after I was pretty sure they had to be dead I took one and began to cut the case. The primer exploded and embedded itself in the side of my index finger.

I stood there looking at my finger with the primer cup literally buried in it. The primer was forced into my finger blunt side first. (ever been stabbed with a spoon??)

The fun part was grabbing the edge of that primer cup and pulling the whole primer out of my finger. I hurts just to think about it.

Primers get all kinds of respect around here....

Water and powder don't go well together for desensitizing. When the water dries, the powder is even more sensitive. Brake fluid works, at least that's one thing we use in the military.

Mike

Posts: 17 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 03 April 2006Reply With Quote