THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4831 how many grs. in 243 100 grain?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old reloading book does not list IMR 4831 for the 100 grain bullet in .243. Can any of you give me a load scale for low and high? Tnanks very much...

Posts: 43 | Location: redwater, tes | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-4831 From 35.0 grains to 46.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much...

Posts: 43 | Location: redwater, tes | Registered: 08 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve is always happy to help. Look up similar info for nearly ALL cartridges and bullet weights on his web site. Good info.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't meen to butin but hornady max load is 42.5 and the hotrod barnesbook is maxed at 41.0. F.Y.I barnes is using 210m and horn. is using fed 210ms. But in my loading of 95 gr hornady sst's with imr4831 and rem 9 1/2 have a max load at @39.5gr. P.s I get my best vel. and accuracy with reloader 19 at 42.0 and for 3025 f.p.s with a 3 shoot c-t-c of .279 at 100 yards from a 26 in. bar. Now I know that you were talking 100gr bullets here, but 46 gr of imr 4831 might be a little HOT! even for 95 graners. As always work up slowly 0.5 or less at a time!

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
If I'm given a range of 35 to 46 grains, I will start at 35 and work up carefuling checking each case I fire.

I find that the best accuracy usually is just shy of the maximum.

And I also research each cartridge thru all my loading books. They do vary.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve: I beg to differ with you on your recommendation to use as little as 35 grains of IMR 4831 in any .243 load. Loading densities this low are subject to Secondary Explosion Effect (S.E.E.), long believed to be fiction (especially by Bruce Hodgdon), but lately proven to exist. Without going into details of the theories behind SEE, just be aware that when loading densities of powders in the burning range of IMR 4831 fall to less than about 80% of case capacity, an event of extreme pressure spike can (thankfully, rather rarely) occur. It's a mistake to be TOO "conservative" in loading slower burning powders. I would recommend starting no lower than about 40 grains or so.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taking into account what both 338vt and stonecreek said, i would start at about 38 grains and watch for pressure signs near 40 and beyond.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
How many times do I have to say this?

"The loads found on my pages worked just fine in the firearms I was using for testing."

Once again, I refer all who disagree with the data I post to go to http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm new to this forum and didn't mean to upset anyone.Just giving my advice as well as looking for some. By the way good luck with the 4831 loads

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
338vt,

Don't take any offense to Steve. He can seem grouchy, but he is a good guy always willing to help, but is always willing to defend his statements as well he should. And, the statements in your post are nothing to appologize for. If that is what the Hornady and Barnes manuals say, that is what they say. your comment is just as useful as Steves. By the way, welcome to the forum. You can always find good answers here as well as friendly arguments (discussions) if you care to venture.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank's,this forum has alot of like minded fokes. It's nice to know about you guys. By the why NICE SIGHT!