New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet depth
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a question that needs an answer.

When you are just starting with your hand loads
do you start with your bullet .005 off of the
lands or do you go more?

I am loading a Browning A Bolt with a 1 in 10 twist in .243 with 70gr. Nosler B.T.'s,
and was wondering where some of you start.

Also, what powders do any of you use, I have
tried IMR4350 and Varget with not to great
results.

Thanks in advance

Hunter966

Posts: 83 | Location: gracemont, ok. U.S.A. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter966:
I've got a question that needs an answer.

When you are just starting with your hand loads
do you start with your bullet .005 off of the
lands or do you go more?

I am loading a Browning A Bolt with a 1 in 10 twist in .243 with 70gr. Nosler B.T.'s,
and was wondering where some of you start.

Also, what powders do any of you use, I have
tried IMR4350 and Varget with not to great
results.

Thanks in advance

Hunter966

If you are looking for the last drop of accuracy and NOT Hunting loads then I start at the lands with a light touch.....work up load for that distance and then I only have one way to move the bullet when looking for the "sweet spot" instead of moving in and out....I have had good results with the 4350 in several 243's and if one won't shoot decently with a load with that powder I would look elsewhere for a problem....bullets and seating depth seem to make more difference to accuracy than the powder if the powder is correct for the weight bullet and caliber..IMO....IMR 4895 works as does H335 esp. for the lighter 70's but I haven't used them much for my 243 loads.....HTH...good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter966: I am in the process of load development this month for several Varmint Rifles I recently acquired. They are in caliber 6mm PPC, 222 Remington, 260 Remington, 17 Remington and 221 Remington Fireball. I use the wonderful and ingenious Sinclair Seating Depth Gauge Tool to ascertain Cartridge Over All Length (C.O.A.L.). The tool and procedure work like this. You drop a bullet into your Rifles chamber and its travel toward and down the barrel will stop at the resistance of the leads of the Rifling. You use the Sinclair tool to take a measurement to the base of the bullet. Remove the bullet and insert a case in the chamber. You use the tool to take a measurement to the base of the case. By comparing these measurements you come up with the exact measurement from the base of the cartridge to the base of the bullet as it rests on the leades of the rifling. It is then a simple matter to make your first load development loads exactly to the length desired for just touching the leades or back it off any amount you want. I have found with all these Rifles and many more I have used this method on in the past that best accuracy is obtained at .005" back from full bullet non crushed fit (just gravity fed and friction only resting on the leades). I am guessing that this is about .003 or .004" back from the point of the slightest perceptible touching of the Rifling.
The wonderful Sinclair Tool is still in its original container and is marked $16.00! That was the best $16.00 I have ever spent in regards to reloading!
According to my loading log my load deveploment trials and number of loads to find an accurate C.O.A.L. has been reduced significantly since I began using this tool. I am certain the Sinclair Tool and its accurate way to determine C.O.A.L. is the reason. Again money well spent!
The short answer is .003" to .004" off of friction only fit of the bullet in the leades! The long answer is above and if you are confused let me try again if need be.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote