THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    458 Winchester with 405 grn Remintons and AA 5744

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Winchester with 405 grn Remintons and AA 5744
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am hoping that someone can suggest a mild plinking/whitetail deer load using the above. I have found a few cast bullet receipes of similar weight but am unsure if I can subsitute this jacketed bullet. Any advice is appreciated. Thank.s

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no listings for that powder. If you don't get any help here, I'd try posting in the Big Bore section.
I didn't have much luck (yet) with Rem 405gr loads re consistant accuracy.

Light loads of slowish powder leaked smoke right back to the bolt, with some dodgy ignitions, fast powder kicked like hell anyway, (tho I may have had too much filler in them,)
and the final insult, much different points of impact to the 500 grainers. thumbdown

Yer, over at the Big Bores, if you can get them started you may have trouble shutting them up.
Smiler Wink
Annon.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
hiredgun, the 405gr Remmys are a great plinking bullet in the magnums. What velocity are you wanting? In my Lott, I am loading them to 2100 fps for both plinking and for hogs. works fine for me. I am using IMR-4895. As for 5744, ask Accurate Arms, they should be able to give you the info you are looking for.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogkiller: I was thinking about 1800 fps or so. Just fast enough to open up the bullet, but still comfortable for plinking. If I have to go faster, thats OK too. Any additional advice is appreciated. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iuse the loads listed in AA's 2002 manual for 5744 in the 458 winnie. For 400 grain lead bullets they list:

45.9 grs = 1996 fps (starting)

51 grs = 2170 fps (Max)

ME is well over 4000 FPE and recoil is well below max 458 loads. Consistent, accurate and deadly.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot: Thanks for the reply. Do you just use the 400 lead loads with the 405 grn Remington jacketed bullet? Initially I was concerned that a jacketed bullet would raise pressure more than lead. Is it really this simple?

posted Hide Post
Nope its not that simple...

http://www.downsouthhunting.com

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hiredgun, I asked the people at Accurate Arms, about using 5744. The tec there told me that you can load this powder down as low as you want to go. The only negative, would be getting so low that there would be unburned powder left in the barrel. But go ahead and send tehm an e-mail with your question. They will gladly answer.

As for cast vs. jackets, yes pressures go up with jacketed bullets of the same weight as cast.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received a reply from AA that I could use the lead 5744 data in my 458 Win with the 405 Remington bullets. I assume that a hot primer such as a Federal 215 will help burn the large charges of this bulky powder. Any advice? Also I want to try something similar in 460 Weatherby. Is there anyone out there who has experimented with this? Thanks.