Tools

test loads. tell me what you think.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted
hi all,
i have been working on a hunting load for my zastava in .308
i am using the rem corlocts in 180g started off with a 4 shot group working up .5 of a grain using ar2208 (varget)
found the gun liking the 42 and 42.5g loads so i loaded up 8 each to re try.
first the 42g loads

then the 42.5g loads

you can see the 42.5 g loads are very tite virticly but spread accross the horasontal plane pls note the one flier on the bottom was the first shot, i did run a "fouler" thru but i must have flinched or something.
the 42g loads are horasontaly about the same but spread virticaly more.
if i could stop the horasontal spread i would be very happy but realisticly that is quite good enough for minute of pig Big Grin
any sugestions?
ps you will see there is only 7 shots on the target for the 42.5g load
this is why

first time ever i have had a misfire in many thousands of rounds. Mad
well, atleast it was whilst shooting paper and wasnt whilst trying to shoot a pig dancing
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are decent enough groups for hunting.
But a decent .308 should be capable of better acuracy.
Have you played with any other powders ?
I don't Know what is available to you, but RL-15
IMR-4064 , W-748 and W-760 are all real good powders in the .308, and one of them may well tighten your groups.
You also might consider a 165 grain bullet,
Not beacuse there is anything wrong with the 180s just that your rifle might prefer them.
Both of my winchester .308s like a 168 grain hornady flat base real well.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like your rifle has potential, but you should try some different powders. The ones Thomas Jones listed are very popular, with good reason, for the .308.

Also try lighter bullets. Most people I know with .308s don't shoot 180s because of the velocity loss. 150s or 165s will give you a good bit more velocity. My local gunshop owner swears by the 150 TSX and the 150 Hornady in his .308.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Curious as to which primer you had the misfire with. That round should have fired and from the pic, I'd have to say the primer was a dud. This is in no way a insult, but are you sure that round had a powder charge? One can miss a round if distracted, I always check mine with a flashlight prior to seating any bullets.

good luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
greg,
what case are you useing, and primer,your 42.5 shows promice when you start to over lap your bullet holes, on the flyer take at least 2 rounds to burn the liquid cleaner out of your barrel.how old is your rifle? are you shooting her to hot when you shoot 4 group....clearly she wants to shoot, varget is very good powder. can you kiss your rifles throat? in my hodgdon manual it shows your 1 and 1/2 grain up from start load. how longs your barrel. with respect we need more info...... ive burned enough varget to know its one heck of a great powder and it likes to bee throttled -up when loading it.
regards and waiteing your reply...

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You need to chronogrqph that load to see if the velocity is sufficient for your purposes. In addition, sometimes the Rem. Corelokts are not the world's most accurate bullets. So if you used a Sierra Game King instead, those groups might tighten up somewhat more, (althought, I have had some real good accuracy results with SOME Corelokts!) But basically, you are making good progress toward real accuracy!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
i have previously shot these bullets with very good groups when using 44g of 2208 i was getting flattened primers every now and then. figured it was the heat up here. my intention was to back her off a little to get rid of the pressure signs.
i am using the 180s as i have the possable option of a camel hunt this year so was after a load that will be suitable for pigs but still drop a camel (needs to be min .30 cal and 170g pill) and as i say i have had exelent sucess with this powder and bullet combo i just am backing her off a little.
case is highland, pulled the bullet poped the primer out and hit it with a hammer, no bang. the gun is probably had 600 to 800 rounds thru her, 22 inch bbl. have had the comment that i may have had the front screw done up to tight? causing a horasontal group?
as i mentioned previously i am not worried as i will get any pig or camel with this load its just nice if i could tighten her up a little, if i upp the charge to 44g i get about the same virtical group but without the horasontal spread, well that was previously when i was shooting it that hot.
greg

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greghud:
i have previously shot these bullets with very good groups when using 44g of 2208 i was getting flattened primers every now and then. figured it was the heat up here. my intention was to back her off a little to get rid of the pressure signs.
i am using the 180s as i have the possable option of a camel hunt this year so was after a load that will be suitable for pigs but still drop a camel (needs to be min .30 cal and 170g pill) and as i say i have had exelent sucess with this powder and bullet combo i just am backing her off a little.
case is highland, pulled the bullet poped the primer out and hit it with a hammer, no bang. the gun is probably had 600 to 800 rounds thru her, 22 inch bbl. have had the comment that i may have had the front screw done up to tight? causing a horasontal group?
as i mentioned previously i am not worried as i will get any pig or camel with this load its just nice if i could tighten her up a little, if i upp the charge to 44g i get about the same virtical group but without the horasontal spread, well that was previously when i was shooting it that hot.
greg

WHAT front screw? If you are talking about the front GUARD screw (the one that goes into the front hole of the receiver from the front of the magazine/triggerguard assembly), that screw should always be tightened first and about as tightly as you can do by hand with a screwdriver blade that is a perfect fit in the screw slot; whereas the rear guard screw only needs to be tightened "pretty snugly".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
yea thats it, i will re check it it is a blade screw and i think its prity tight as i dont want it to rattle loose on a shoot.
greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
greg, i'm not familar with your case brand but no biggie,you could come up 1 grain to 43.5 and sea how she shoots ,or hunt with what you have loaded, cronographing would really tell where your at.. have a good hunt!!!! sounds like your 1/2 way there !
regards.

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Are you saying AR2208 is Varget powder?

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
as far as i know, yep
made by adi sold as varget.
greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More powder.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would try 43 and then 43.5. After that you might want to try adjusting yor COL a bit forward or back. I'm not suggesting that the bullet touch the lands just sometimes a different legree of bullet jump will make a difference. But only after you've made a good load.
I would definitely pull the bullet and see if there was a powder charge in the case.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
pulled the case, 42.5g of powder hit the primer with a hammer no bang.
the groups opened up when i go beond 42.5g
i shot 4 shot groups first time round to see where the groups looked promiceing. then went back and reloaded the 42 and 42.5g loads.
first round

the problem i am trying to avoid is that at 44g it shoots a little better again but when i was shooting this load previously i was getting pressure signs (flattened primers) but this was only ocasionaly, i figured it was due to the heat up here.
and at 42g i am only dropping about 80 fps from the 44g load.
greg