New
Find
Notify
Tools

static in powder charge thrower
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the static out of a rcbs powder thrower. It isn't a problem because I trickle each charge, but I have to dissasemble the thrower and clean it each time I change powders. I get powder sticking to the bottom of the adjustable plunger. It is clean and dry before I start, so it is not oil. The only thing I can figure is that it is static. Does any body treat theirs with wax or something to reduce this?

Posts: 53 | Location: pittsburgh PA | Registered: 13 November 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Wipe the inside of it out with a static sheet for the clothes dryer. Try to get an unscented type, so as not to leave any residue in the hopper...

Dan

<Abe Normal>
posted
I came across a box of "Anti-Static Cleaner Wipes" that were designed to be used on safety glasses that work very well. I suspect any place that sells prescription eyeglasses will have an anti-static cleaner product available.

I have heard that the USED dryer fabric softener sheets will also do the trick when used in place of a paper towel to dry the "thrower" after a light application of Windex (or similar cleaner).

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:
Wipe the inside of it out with a static sheet for the clothes dryer. Try to get an unscented type, so as not to leave any residue in the hopper...

Dan

Yeah, what he said.

I also use them to wipe the powder pan, too.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<1badassmagnum>
posted
1bm borrows the wifes makeup brush,long handle fine bristles,brushes powder from hopper than replaces brush...lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I read an article in one of the gun mags, possibly Handloader, that you simply mix up a solution of warm water with dish washing liquid, wipe any residue out of the hopper and pan then dip your powder hopper and pan in it and let it dry, I've done it and it works.

albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote