Find
Notify
Tools

primer tube loader
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
sucker. I bought one of the Vibra primer tools, from Midway (that should have been a hint)
I got it to load 1 tube of small pistol primers. Forget large pistol. I'm pretty good at tinkering with thing to get them to work but not this one.

Does anyone make one that works?

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone make one that works?

I don't think any of them are that good especially the tube type. I have a lee set up that works pretty good. You have to have the right shell holder and make sure its alligned with the primer seat. trial and error but I like it. its a seperat step. I have done 10's of thousands of 38 spcl with this setup

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm also a fan of the no longer made Auto Prime II. The little plastic shellholder inserts that RCBS make for the APS bench primer are necessary to make it flawless however.

On the other hand I've never been in such a hurry to load primer tubes for my 550 or the RCBS bench primer. But I'm old, retired and have the time to enjoy such processes. Actually I enjoyed doing it before I was retired. ;-}

Posts: 10 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 01 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never liked the Lee set-up shown in the picture.

I don't use one and won't use one where there is a trayful of primers a mere two feet from my face with no "break" between where the primer is being inserted and the reserve of the rest of the primers.

If I ever prime on a press I prefer the old Lyman, CH, RCBS system where there is a tube of primers and "break" between that and the priming operation on the ram by meand of that spring loaded pick-up arm.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Reloading does have some dangerous aspects. primer in a pile going off is always a concern.
There is approximate 3/4" separation in the design of the lee die. About the same with the lock and load primer feed but with the primer tube stack up to about face high. My Lyman with the tube and spring lever is about 1" separation with the tube in my face. If you light off a primer I don't know if the separation is enough even at 5 to 10 feet. maybe in the next room. hope it never happen. I have crushed primers in all three cases and none have gone off. old hand reloader

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Check out Dillon. I don't have that piece but I do load on a XL650 + I have found all of their equipment to be well built + a lifetime warranty.Plus you'll get their monthly catalouge.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have a 650 Dillon but I really don't need to spend $300+ to load tubes. I know the Midway unit has problems (sucks), I've seen one called PAL but at $225 I might as well spring for the dillon. I guess there's no cheap solution.

I have a 366 shotgun press that uses a kind of reverse moonclip or starwheel type setup hand crank. works great on 209 primers.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/pal-primer-filler.html

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote