New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 358 STA, looking for Layne Simpson article
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was told over at 24hourcampfire to check here for info about my new 358 STA. So here is my post for over there.
My gunsmith just called me last night and will be done with my new 358 STA. I'm using a older Weatherby 98 Mauser Action, with a Kreiger barrel?? spelling... 26 in long. I'm looking to see if anyone has any personal loads they like in their 358 or if anyone might have a copy of the article done by Layne Simpson out of shooting times a few years ago. I just ordered dies from RCBS $119.00 wow. My gunsmith said finished the rifle should weigh around 9 pounds with my fiberglass stock and 2.5-8 leupold scope.

Posts: 60 | Location: Maupin | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It'll take some digging, but I may still have a copy. It was sent to me early last year, by one of the members here, mighta been Phurley. Do a search here on STA and see who's got one. Simpson's loads were pretty high-pressure, as will be most folks likely. If you want to keep it within established pressures, you may be better off just looking at 375 Weatherby loads and pressures, and working toward the same SD performance (e.g., 250g .358 speed = 270g .375).
Glad to see another 35-cal out there. Check out the 270g North Forks, 280g A-Frames, and of course, there's a number of excellent 250g-ers out there, Barnes & Nosler for instance.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redside ----- I have a copy of the article by Layne Simpson and will be glad to send it to you. Get me your address and I will get it to you. ----- I shoot two STA's and consider them excellent for larger game in North America and Africa. My son and I have taken several Elk and Deer with mine, I will try one of them on Plains game in Africa this October. I have shot Sierra 225 grainers for fireforming cases ( while not necessary it will get you more case capacity by 1-2 grains), then loaded North Forks in 225, 250 and 270 grains for top notch accuracy and performance. I have also shot Swift A-Frames of 225, 250 and 280 grains, Nosler Partitions and Barnes X in 250 grains. ----- You can find loaded ammo at Superior Ammo at 800-67-SUPER. They load nearly all premium and non premium bullets. I got my brass from them with the correct headstamp and it is excellent. ----- In my opinion you have picked one of the better medium chamberings available. When you can push a .358 bullet 225 to 310 grains 2800 plus fps for the heavier bullet you have a very good taker of larger game. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for the help. I live in eastern Oregon and plan to use the rifle for deer and elk, however I'm going to Alaska next summer for Dall and Grizzly and plan to use this rifle. Right now I have some 225 Sierra, 225 Nosler B.T. and 250 grain speers. Any personal experience with these bullets in your 358 STA?
Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did try the Nosler Ballistic tips and got the results above, I decided I wanted more than mush and fragments of the jacket to penetrate the Bear. The other bullets mentioned gave me that. I tried to reply to your E-Mail and got an undeliverable message on my end. Check your PM, or E-Mail me and I will reply. Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that the 225 Nosler Ballistic Tip was suppose to have a super heavy base on it so that it wouldn't blow up and could be used on large game. It sounds like you've tested that pretty extensivly though. How about the 225 Nosler Partition? Have you tried that, I'm thinking a 225 at about 3100 fps should be good for anything that walks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
phurley did you get my email address so I could get a copy of the 358 STA article.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redside ----- I have used all the bullets you mentioned except the Speer and still use the Sierra 225 grain Gameking for fireforming brass. Both my rifles shoot it with pinpoint accuracy, however it and along with the Nosler Ballistic Tip turned to mush (powdered lead) with fragments of jackets, when I shoot them into my test box. My box is an elongated file box with old records sprayed with water and a large Buffalo bone three inchs in. I have not used the Speer bullet. All the bullets I tested that were not monolithic or didn't have a partition turned to the mush. The North Forks, Barnes X, Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames withstood the test with the North Forks being the winner with toughness and accuracy. The 270 grain North Fork is a truly awesome bullet through my rifles. I originally got my STA's for Alaska, after using a .340 Wby, which performed admirably. It is just that the more I am around the big Bears the more I respect them. Personally I like the heavier bullets for caliber when I am in dangerous game country, the SD's are better for added penetration. Reloader-22 is my powder of choice and Fed 215M primers. Good luck and good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, it was ScottinPA that sent me the articles. Just didn't want to dis' him!
For all I know he got them from Phurley, but he was pretty helpful when I was loking at the STA.
Might contact him for his load data as well.
Incidentally, I got my big 358 for elk in OR as well. Should be more than enough!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I thought that the 225 Nosler Ballistic Tip was suppose to have a super heavy base on it so that it wouldn't blow up and could be used on large game. It sounds like you've tested that pretty extensivly though. How about the 225 Nosler Partition? Have you tried that, I'm thinking a 225 at about 3100 fps should be good for anything that walks.

Perhaps at 2700 fps, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed to be driven 3000!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've sent a private message with two different emails, one of them will work.
Thanks again, looks like I'll stick with the 225 partition then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redside ----- I tried to E-Mail the article to you and was unsuccessful, the message said that this recipient could not receive the E-Mail. The problem may very well be my lack of computor expertise. I am snail mailing you the article today. Good luck and good shooting.