Find
Notify
Tools

Need Moly Help!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I might have messed up 3000 40gr.20cal v-max. Red Face
I molyed them with the Lyman moly kit for the tumbler and well, they all have a texture to them!!! Is this becaue I put to much moly powder in?
Will this affect how they shoot and are they safe to use?
If I have to, how do I get moly off of them with out damaging them?
I've be reloading for fifteen years and molying my oun for two months, this is the first time I have seen a heavy buildup of moly like this.
Any and all help welcome. 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have had this problem. the best way is to take a long soft cotton cloth rag,put bullets on rag, grab one end in each hand and see saw the bullets polishing the excess moly off. it will only take a minute to remove the excess. I don't wax coat the bullets because i want to shoot moly, NOT A WAX COATED MOLY BULLET. good luck

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
338vt,

Find a cloth bag or double up some old pillow cases and dump some of the bullets into the bag.

Holding the top shut with one hand lift the "wad" of bullets up in the bag so they slide down the sides. Repeat until they are smooth. You can also roll them around in the bag on a table.

This method will transfer a lot of moly to your hands if you don't wear gloves. You may want to wear a dust mask also.

By the way, I have shot "glumped up" moly on my bullets in the past and I could not find that it caused any problems. In my opinion you have not ruined your bullets.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wash my bullets in hot water and original "Dawn" dishwashing soap to remove the factory Forming Die Oil from bullets before I begin Moly Coating. I believe Sierra is the only manufacture that washes their bullets prior to them leaving their facility.

Anyway, if they have a "mottled" appearance where you can still see that some of the Bullet is not coated, it is probably Forming Die Oil keeping the Moly from sticking properly.

Oh yes, I do Carnuba Coat my Moly Bullets by tumbling them for "60 seconds" in Corn Cob that has been treated with Liquid Kit Car Wax. The Cob needs to feel "slick" to the touch. If it doesn't, add more Car Wax and let it self-coat the Corn Cob for 10 minutes or so.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, Thanks All!!
Second, If I wanted to get the moly off my bullets how would I do it? I'm thinking it would be better in the long run to just start over. CRYBABY 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know there are some Solvents available on the market that will do it, but I don't know their names. You might try a "Find" on this Board and the Gun Smith Board and see if you can track it down, or start a new thread if no one responds.

But, if by chance it is due to the Forming Oil, take a handful of bullets and put them into some un-treated Walnut or Corn Cob and let it grind on them for an hour or so.

Then try washing those in "Dawn". I use hot water and let them soak for about 30min. Every 10min I walk by and stir them with my hand. Then drain, rinse in hot water twice and dry in the sun on a towel. Once the rinsing begins, I don't touch them with my hands so as not to transfer any oil from my hands onto them.

Then try putting the Moly to those Test Bullets. If it works, you can do all the rest the same way.
---

The reason I said to only put the Wax on for 60sec is because it will begin to "polish" the Moly off. Only problem then would be the Wax getting onto the bullet without the Moly, I doubt the "Dawn" would wash it off. Then there would be no way at all to get the Moly to peen into the jacket.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote