Find
Notify
Tools

Are Lee Collet Dies junk?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
Ok, maybe it's me but I bought collet dies in 257 Roberts and 308. Maybe I'm an idiot but they didn't do anything. The shells went in and out with no resistance and did nothing to size the neck. I sent them back for a refund.

Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like you had them adjusted properly, they have a sweet spot that takes some fine adjustments but once you find that spot they work great

If you do a search you'll find lots of posts on them, some positive, some negative -- one guy went to great lengths to explain how to prepare them & how to adjust them to find the sweet spot

I've got no complaints about mine (257 Bob, 7mm-08, 270 Win, have them for 300 & 375 H&H but haven't used them yet); only reload for my rifles, I do FL when they get hard to chamber after a few reloadings

I use the 257 Bob for my 257 AI

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be rude, but making a long reply/story short, you did not have them set up properly. There's a bit more to it than that, but that's why you had the results you did.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then why does Lee ship them with crap instructions if they need to be "set up"? It's says to adjust them until it reaches the the shell holder and then one additional turn. What else is there? What did I miss in the "set up". I'm really interested because I seem to be able to "set up" my other dies.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
All dies have to be "set up" according to the instructions that come with them. The Lee instructions say to adjust them like you stated with an additional turn but if you have another manufacturer's press other than Lee then you adjust it an additional 2 turns.

The amount of turns does not matter, only that you adjust the press not to toggle over. You are squeezing an internal collet onto a floating mandrel and the press should not toggle over.

Look, do a search but IMO you have just sent back the best dies made. I have used extensively all types of dies by RCBS, Redding, Forster and Hornady, and go into extensive case prep to minimize runout, and outside neck turn. I have expensive Redding bushing dies monitor neck thickness and bullet grip better than most and will say without equivocation

Lee Collet Neck Sizers are the best system for sizing necks period! They are simple to use, create the least runout, work the brass least and are the least expensive period!

Now if you want to know why we can go into it again here for a few pages but it seems like you already have your mind made up.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You gave up on them before learning how to operate them. They are among the best neck-sizing dies out there and cost a fraction of some others.

I've never had anything but stellar results with them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
You gave up on them before learning how to operate them. They are among the best neck-sizing dies out there and cost a fraction of some others.

I've never had anything but stellar results with them.

+ 2 !

BOOM

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I really like my Collet dies! I use them on my son-in-law's .223 Rem. that he uses for "F" Class 300 yard. I will also uses a Collet die on his 308 Win. for 1000 yard "F" Class.

They do require some getting used to and a bit of touch in operation. You have to use some "force" on the press arm to get them to work properly. Also they need to be turned at least 1 turn more past touching the shell holder at least. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 turns. I think they keep the case more "Concentric". At any rate, just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve been very happy with the collet dies I have. Woods explained right, the shell holder and press used may require some modification to the set-up. This doesn`t detract from the results in any way though.
JMHO

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Search Youtube for lee collet dies / neck sizing, etc. There are some excellent videos on how to use them correctly; very skillful and illuminating.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lee dies might need the mandrill polished down so you get a good bullet fit. They do work if you do some work.
Be aware that neck sizing will mean you will still need to FL now and then so you can chamber rounds. That means you also need another set of dies. Same if you pick up brass shot from another gun, the Lee die will not fix them so you can use them.
The collet die set should include a FL die to make things right.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+4 or 5 or whatever on the lee collet dies.
I love em. I use them with the redding body die for excellent control of case sizing. I also have sanded down the spindle to get an ez .003 grip on the bullet with out having to crank the heck out of the press.
SO HERE'S MY XMAS WISH LIST:
I want a 3 die set with:
1 lee collet die with an extra smaller mandrel
1 Redding body die
1 forster seating die.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Ok, maybe it's me but I bought collet dies in 257 Roberts and 308. Maybe I'm an idiot but they didn't do anything. The shells went in and out with no resistance and did nothing to size the neck. I sent them back for a refund.

Anyone else have any experience with this product?

Download the video and read the three instructions listed in the FAQs Dies and Die questions, the collet die works wonderfully once set up properly.

http://leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had any problem from mine.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
It is possible to set up one of these collet dies "correctly" and it not work.

The collet is held in place by an internal wire ring that fits in a groove in the collet and the housing. If you pull hard enough on the collet it will pop right out of the housing and out of the die.

Problems happen if you don't make absolutely sure you've seated that wire ring in the housing. What can happen is the collet sits lower than it should be to function. Friction from the wire ring keeps the collet from falling out. The collet still bumps up and down like you'd expect only it is actually floating in the housing and doing nothing.

If I had one that stopped working or didn't work, the first thing I'd check was if that ring was seated correctly.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Lee collet dies. One of the best things about them is that the cases don't get stretched like they do when using an expander ball. This means less trimming.

Matt.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see that a lot of people like the Collet dies. I watched the video that wrong target posted. I did exactly what it showed. Most of my equipment is Lee including my press. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the posts.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter wrote:
quote:
The collet die set should include a FL die to make things right.

Why? Other brand neck size sets don't do so unless you buy a deluxe or 3-die set at a higher cost.

Most folks who use neck sizers have the FL set as well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can see that a lot of people like the Collet dies. I watched the video that wrong target posted. I did exactly what it showed. Most of my equipment is Lee including my press. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the posts.

Hey scott

It seems like the Collet die is not doing anything as you can not feel anything happening. The way to restore your confidence that sizing is actually occuring is to insert a bullet into the unsized neck first and it should go in easily, then use the Lee Collet and try and re-insert the bullet. It won't go thus showing that you have indeed reduced the inside dimension of the neck.

Don't put too much weight on the lever or toggle the press over or you will damage the die and maybe even pop the aluminum cap.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Possibly better yet....use your caliper inside the mouth of your case before you run it into the collet die. My guess is that a .308 caliber will be about .310 or .311 after firing. Then keep checking as you turn the die down more. Eventually you should wind up at .306 or if you sand the mandrel about .305.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use and love them for there accuracy and ease of use.

Bob

Posts: 7 | Location: Gloucester, MA | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
quote:

Hey scott

It seems like the Collet die is not doing anything as you can not feel anything happening. The way to restore your confidence that sizing is actually occuring is to insert a bullet into the unsized neck first and it should go in easily, then use the Lee Collet and try and re-insert the bullet. It won't go thus showing that you have indeed reduced the inside dimension of the neck.

Don't put too much weight on the lever or toggle the press over or you will damage the die and maybe even pop the aluminum cap.

I tried to drop a bullet in after I thought I sized it. It dropped right through the neck. I'm not sure why i couldn't get these to work for me.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like you didn't apply pressure. You have to press like heck on the collet dies. I'd have to get out one of the booklets, but I believ they specify around 25lbs or so. I press fairly hard on mine, probably 40lbs. Collet dies can be a bear for someone who's never used them, but they are golden for neck sizing. You will get a rythm down to where you are applying the same pressure by feel.

They give less runout than most dies I own(Hdy, Lyman, Forster, RCBS, DuraChrome, etc).

I prefer the Forster seaters, but the Collets are great dies.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go here:
http://www.leeprecision.com/ht...elpVideos/video.html

Look under the 'single stage press' section and play the video for collet neck dies. Adjusting them is no more difficult than adjusting an FL die.

I have them and like them a great deal, but recently bought Forster neck sizer shoulder bump dies with bushing in .204 and .223 for use in a progressive press. Haven't had time to try them yet but looking forward to seeing how compare to the Lee collet die for concentricity.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, maybe it's me...

Would seem so.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I tried to drop a bullet in after I thought I sized it. It dropped right through the neck. I'm not sure why i couldn't get these to work for me.[/QUOTE]

If the bullet falls through either the die is defective or you are not applying enough pressure. To minimize run out, I got in a habit of rotating the case two or three times and applying at least 30 lbs each time.

Bob

Posts: 7 | Location: Gloucester, MA | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
They work, not as well as more expensive Redding bushing dies, but adjusted right, they work fine.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They work, not as well as more expensive Redding bushing dies, but adjusted right, they work fine.

Different folks, different strokes.

I prefer the collet neck dies to all others. Simple to use, no bushings to try to get right, make really straight necks. What's not to love? Smiler

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Been there, done that! The aluminum cap went flying across the room and I simply lost confidence in the die, so I bought an RCBS neck sizer. It almost stripped all the threads off the cap and I just couldn't get used to the feel of it..

I do use their Factory Crimp Die for almost all my rounds and love them.

Posts: 78 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why? Other brand neck size sets don't do so unless you buy a deluxe or 3-die set at a higher cost.

But any neck die will only do the neck. Eventually you need to set the shoulder back a tad and the expansion ring can enlarge enough to make chambering hard. If you just shoot low pressure loads, you may not need the extra die but that has not been my experience.
I even neck size my revolver loads but after about 3 or 4 shots I have to remove the spacer and FL or they will not go in the gun.
Get the full set instead of tossing brass or buying another die down the road.
Lee dies are so cheap, it sure would not cost much for an extra die.
I have a collet set for 30-06 but do not own a 30-06. I load for a friend and see what happens. I have to try every case in his gun before I finish loading and his loads will not go in another 30-06. None of the extra brass I have laying around will go in his gun after using the collet die.
Now what do you do with a pump or semi?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could just attach my Snap on torque wrench to the press I guess I could get constant tension on the neck, kind of like a bushing die. This is not a BAD die, but I think it could use a little refinement. Feeling 25-40 pounds pressure could use a little work. I have 3 of them, and I don't think they are bad, but I won't be getting rid of my Redding or Wilson bushing dies either.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I realy like the Lee collet die

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter wrote:
quote:
Now what do you do with a pump or semi?

It's pretty universally accepted that pumps and semis need FL or at least partial-FL sizing. Even the manufacturers tell you so...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I realy like the Lee collet die

Yep, the Lee Collett and a Forster BR seater--it don't get much easier than that. Your finished loads will be more concentric and your groups will shrink nicely. Just my experience, understand....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Scott, I wouldn't feel too bad, others have misjudged the Lee Collet,

part of the problem is their price; now a days, it is hard to believe that something that cost less actually works

just order another set & give them second try

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...it is hard to believe that something that cost less actually works

And, wonder of wonders, it actually works better!

But it does have a moving part and that means there's a learning curve. It's NOT just a simple "push the case in and pull it out" like other sizers.