Find
Notify
Tools

Low Recoil .38 Special
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted
I am looking for data on low recoil target loads for .38 Special. Anyone have any "pet" loads that fit this category? ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 to 3 grs of bullseye under a 148 gr Wad cutter is about as nice as one gets. Or the same with red dot works well.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
2 to 3 grs of bullseye under a 148 gr Wad cutter is about as nice as one gets. Or the same with red dot works well.

A like charge of 231 gives the same performance and burns a whole bunch cleaner.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3.2 grains of bullseye and 141-148 grain wadcutter

4.-4.5 grains of Unique with 158 grain semi wadcutters.

Good loads and cleaner loads with WST, WSF.

Good loads with some of the Western Powder Co. powders.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I have some Bullseye and W231 on hand, so I will try those loads this weekend. ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.7 bullseye and 148 gr. wc.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with cgbach. 2.7 or 2.8 Bullseye and the 148 wadcutter is the standard.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 100 grain semiwadcutter, deep seated so that the nose of the projectile is 1/8" below the case mouth, over 2 grains of WST.

Posts: 45 | Location: Sydney,Australia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beretta96
posted Hide Post
My favorite PPC load is 3.5 grains of Titegroup over a 148gr HBWC using Federal pistol primers.

If you're using a light trigger, the Federal primers are the softest and will give you more consistent ignition.

I prefer a slightly hotter load so my bullets will stay stable at 50 yards. Some guys use different trays with different powder charges for different ranges. I found all that confusing so I stick with the "hotter" load and shoot it across the course.

Posts: 263 | Location: ontario, canada | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
3.3 to 4.0 grains of Trail Boss behind a 158 gr. RNFP for my Marlin 1894 CB is just dandy. Enough punch to knock over steep pigs at 50yds, little report and kick.

Posts: 1 | Location: Calif. Central Coast | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

yep the bullseye load is a good one....... i load that for my spousal unit to shoot in her colt det spl 2"... it's really comfortable in my my s&w model 27 6".......................

posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. I recently joined the group, and did a search for this topic, as I have a question. My wife recently bought a Ruger LCR 38 special snub-nose. While it is a super light carry gun,it kicks like a mule. I'd like to make a bullet she can shoot comfortably at the range. My normal 38 load is 158 grain lead and the "starting load" powder for 231,which is 4.2 grains. After a little reading, I realized that the starting load listed is a "maximum starting load." I guess you are to look for signs of excess pressure, and if there are none, you can work up to the "never exceed limit." What I am wondering is - what would be the safe MINIMUM amount of powder so the bullet will not get stuck in the barrel, but recoil will be much more manageable?? By the way, I plan to buy lighter lead next time, but have a bunch of 158 to go through first. Thanks. Marc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcglock30:
Hi everyone. I recently joined the group, and did a search for this topic, as I have a question. My wife recently bought a Ruger LCR 38 special snub-nose. While it is a super light carry gun,it kicks like a mule. I'd like to make a bullet she can shoot comfortably at the range. My normal 38 load is 158 grain lead and the "starting load" powder for 231,which is 4.2 grains. After a little reading, I realized that the starting load listed is a "maximum starting load." I guess you are to look for signs of excess pressure, and if there are none, you can work up to the "never exceed limit." What I am wondering is - what would be the safe MINIMUM amount of powder so the bullet will not get stuck in the barrel, but recoil will be much more manageable?? By the way, I plan to buy lighter lead next time, but have a bunch of 158 to go through first. Thanks. Marc

Welcome to the forum,

I have been told that your answer will depend on whether you are sending lead, copper-coated or jacketed bullets downrange. I am not knowledgeable enough to go into the whys, though.

What I do know is that my friend's 500 S&W shoots like a kitten (even with 350 grain bullets) when loaded down to 750 fps. A while back, I found the question (in this forum, in fact) "How Slow is too Slow?" Some of the thread would be good reading for you.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=2911043&m=781108128
or, if the link does not work, paste this into your web browser
forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=2911043&m=781108128

He settled on 800 fps as a lower limit for lead, jacketed or copper-plated bullets. In a gun as heavy as the Smith 500, these are great for practice and familiarization and a source of amusement at the range. (But we NEVER mix full-power loads in with the light loads unbeknownst to the shooter, ever.)

If you want to go lighter, you can switch to wax bullets. These are usually loaded in cases that have had the primer pockets with their flash holes enlarged (so the primers don't back out and to let more of the primer's power drive the wax bullet - they are NEVER loaded with powder). Speer also makes plastic ammunition, also powered by primers only.

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee has Winchester 231 between 4.2 to 4.5 and 830 fps with 158 grain lead bullets.

Good luck.

Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post.

Do your own independent, confirming research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Marc, You are shooting a low pressure load, for the most part.
You can reduce recoil with this load with a lighter bullet.
The other thing you can do is get a good set of grips. I shoot mostly smith and wesson revolvers and use pachmayr grippers or the president series. this will go a long way in absorbing the recoil.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marcglock30:
Consider the SinterFire frangibles. They run about 98-125 grains and also eliminate the lead exposure concerns. http://sinterfire.com/components.html
Aside from these, the HBWC are probably the mildest loads available, but they are not the speediest to speed load! Another concern with HBWC is that if pushed too fast you might push the solid head of the bullet out the barrel and leave the skirt behind in your barrel! (Do not exceed load data for these and don't confuse load data with the solid 148 grain WC's!)
Some time back I came across an 80 grain WC in .358"; these were pussycat loads, too. Ideal/Lyman lists a 358101 mold, a 75 grain button-nose, plain-base wadcutter...that would be similar to what I had.
http://www.castpics.net/IdealandLymanMolds.pdf Look on Page 5

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
I've recently switched from Bullseye to Clays.
In light 38 spl loads I find Clays just as accurate but feels a bit softer and is much cleaner.

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote