Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has this ever happened to you
 Login/Join

posted
Was at the bench today trying out some loads,got to the 40 grn Varget with the 140TSX and the first round was 2559 fps,shot the second round and the chrony still showed 2559,shot the 3rd and final round and the chrony still showed 2559.So Im wondering what happened to my chrony.Started going thru the string and sure enough the hi was 2559,the low was 2559,the SD was 0, and the ES was 0. The group was nothing to brag about however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never had three in a row, but I have had two the same in a five shot string with the other varying 1-3fps. It is pretty astounding. Like you I did not find the group correspondingly small. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesYes and the forth and the fifth. Happened more than once on one of my Chornys. Shot at a lower target more in the center and problem solved. BOOMToday I use an Oehler and many problems solved. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you keep the light holes (or whatever they're called) covered by pieces of tape, the battery out, and it turned off when not in use?
I do and my Chrony is 20yo+ and still ticking.
Frowner sorry

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Do you keep the light holes (or whatever they're called) covered by pieces of tape, the battery out, and it turned off when not in use?
I do and my Chrony is 20yo+ and still ticking.
Frowner sorry

You are one lucky fella. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
After a few years, I've always added extra light holes to mine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
After a few years, I've always added extra light holes to mine.
clap rotflmo clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aceman ----- I have had an SD of 0 with four different rifles. While I have never had three that read the same speed, I have had two out of three many times. My groups generaly have been very good when the SD was 0. I used Chronys in the Beta and Gamma models for years and for the last few years a Oehler 35-P. I was also fortunate enough to meet Mr. Ken Oehler and his very beautiful and informative wife at the NRA convention a few weeks ago in Louisville, Ky. I had always gotten a few funny readings on the Chronys over the years when the bright sunlight shone over the eyes with a slanting angle, and peroidically with the 35-P. They explained to me the need to extend the shield around the eyes upward to prevent those slanting rays and the funny readings. It was a discussion that was worth it weight in gold to this shooter, who previously considered himself savvy with chronographs. The true picture is sometimes long in coming. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Started going thru the string and sure enough the hi was 2559,the low was 2559,the SD was 0, and the ES was 0.

I think your chrono went screwy. I have never had that happen to me in almost 20 years of using my Oehler 35. Or my 43PBL, for that matter.

Try again on a better light day.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote