Find
Notify
Tools

mixing walnut and corn cobb media??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
since walnut is mainly for getting off the grease and ruff stuff and corn cob is mainly for polishing, what would happen if you combined the 2?? would you get the best of both worlds. the corn cobb stuff has trouble removing the soot off my case necks, maybe adding in some walnut would do the trick??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if they would stay mixed or if they would separate in the tumbler. Are you using a vibratory or rotory tumbler?

If you do it and it doesn't work what are you out? I'm sure there is no way for it to mess up your brass or tumbler. Try it if it works or not let us know. If is doesn't work you may be out some media.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I use a vibratory

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trekker111:
I'm not sure if they would stay mixed or if they would separate in the tumbler. Are you using a vibratory or rotory tumbler?.

They stay mixed. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
They stay mixed fine but you still don't get the high polish, the walnut won't allow it. I just wnat my brass clean so I don't care but the way to go is tumble twice, once in walnut then a final hour in corncob. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you just want it clean use one tablespoon of thinners with walnut. If you want it polished use one tablespoon of kerrosene (parrafin) with corn cobb. Put a few pieces of A4 printing paper in with the cases, it absorb the dirt and keep your media clean. Replace the paper after every cycle.

Posts: 22 | Location: Rustenburg, South-Africa | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem a little confused with the responses.The red walnut media will clean and polish your brass the fastest and produce a certain end product that is closer to the original brass but oily.This is because walnut oil is naturally found in the walnut media.Treated corn cob will take much longer and will wear the brass and leave it lighter in color than it was originally and not shiny unless tumbled afterward in untreated cor cob media.The end result is a light,shiny case that is not oily.The Hornady one shot corn cob treated media that I am useing lately gives a good result and does not need a second media.Treated walnut media will also coat the inside of your case with the red stuff and you may not want that to contaminate your powder or shoot it down the barrel.Another way you may wish to do it is to use treated walnut and then untreated corn cob afterward to remove the oil and red from inside your cases.I think the best way of cleaning your cases is to clean outside of your case necks with a towel and some brass polish before tumbling,this way you only need 20-30 minutes of tumbling time instead of 2-3 hrs and does not deform your cases through unnecessary wear.I also clean the inside of my case necks every 5-6 times they've been fired with a patch around a nylon brush and some brass polish liquid.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been mixing the two for years. I don't get the higher polish that corncob alone offers its better (to me) than just walnut media. Its also much faster than just corncob.

Posts: 9 | Location: Rangely, Colorado | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
walnut media leaves a dust coating on the brass which can scar your chamber unless you wipe off every cartridge.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Fine corn cob W/ some Dillon case cleaner one time thru=shinny cases that's what I like, don't make a production out of it.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that using Lyman TURBO BRITE and walnut media gives a great shine without the yellow effect that you get with corn cob. I just add a tablespoon to the media every fourth or fifth use and tumble for a few hours (usually 3-6) then remove. Sometimes I have to put on "shades" to handle the brass Cool jumping

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've worried about the effect of the walnut media residue in your barrel too, but can't seem to find a detrimental effect, on standard grade barrels anyway.

But's it still stays in the back of my mind, and may bug someone else enough to not use it.

The only bad effect I've ever had from cleaning cases was one time I was using a fast powder in .223 Remington and a very high pressure effect. I had to pound open the bolt, and use a dremel tool to cut the case head off the bolt face. The case did not rupture. I pulled every bullet from that lot of reloads and measured every powder charge. All were perfect. After a lot of investigation, I came to the conclusion that some of the media (corn cob) must have bridged up in the small case and since the powder charge was not case filling I did not see the difference.

I now look down through all cases prior to priming just to be sure. It only takes 5 seconds to check a batch.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RBinNM,I'll tumble in untreated corn cob after the treated walnut,then I give each case two blasts(one in the primer pocket and one in the case)of compressed air from a large compressor.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote