New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR .30-06 inconsistant ignition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Posted this topic last year, thought I had the problem fixed, but is back. Loading H190 with WLRP and H4350. Re-sized using RCBS small base dies, bullet seated to cannelure at manual's COL. Problem is I never know if it will fire or not. If it does there is extrusion of metal where the pin struck seeming like a pressure sign, if it doesn't fire the indentation of the pin is faint. Factory loads fire fine. I can sometimes get the reloads to fire by pulling back the hammer and firing again, this sometimes works after two or three tries. I am stumped. Any suggestions? Have checked and found that I seem to have the bullet seated off the lands. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the firing pin on your rifle isn't hitting the primers hard enough.
In my experience, there are two possible causes. One would be the primers aren't seated firmly and deeply enough. I sure hope not. If this is the case, you are risking a slam fire as well.
The other is the firing pin is not getting up to it's design speed, or range, all the time. If that's the case, I'd have a gunsmith check, and fix it, if necessary. E

[ 09-22-2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Eremicus ]

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Are you resizing your cases too much thus pushing the shoulder back, thus causing excessive headspace?

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me that you are moving the shoulder back when you resize the cases.This allows the firing pin to move the case far enough into the chamber that the primers are not ignited reliably.Further evidence of this is the extrusion of primer material looking like high pressure. By moving the shoulder back you create excessive headspace.When the firing pin pushes the case forward and does happen to fire the primer it is now unsupported and backs out of the case around the firing pin.As the pressure builds the case stretchs and reseats the primer. I suggest you back your size die about 2 turns out from its present position in your press.Size a fired case and look carefully at the neck. You will see a small section close to the shoulder that was not resized.It creates a small secondary shoulder.Try chambering this case in your rifle. It will likely be sticky.Turn your size die approx 1/4 turn in and resize the case. Repeat this until that secondary shoulder just about disappears. At that point your cases should chamber smoothly with out sticking. Your case will be perfectly formed to your chamber with zero headspace and your ignition problem will be gone.Reset the lock ring on your die to retain this die adjustment and you should be in business.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have been moving the shoulder back and creating excess headspace, which sounds likely, you may have cases ready to separate. You can check this by running a stiff wire into the case and feeling for a groove near the base of the inside of the case. If you feel such a groove, the cases may be dangerous to shoot again.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have got a lot of info here but some is missing. The only relevant data as I see it is that factory ammo fires every time, when you don�t fire you have a slight primer hit. You did state the die you are using and I assume you are full length resizing. I would first look to see if you are pushing the shoulder back too far and under sizing your round. I would be interested in the results of measuring your loaded round against a factory round and a fired round. I would take three shoulder measurements from the base. Edge, midpoint (headspace) and neck. The answer has to lie here. This is a mechanical problem. You did not say if the factory rounds that fired had a light primer hit. This piece of data would help. If you find it difficult to measure the brass for comparison try this. Take a factory round and place a piece of masking tape over the primer and case. See if the bolt will close on it. Keep adding tape until it will not close. Do the same to one of your loads. If there is a difference in the number of pieces of tape you have found your problem. Then we can work on the solution. JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I am full length resizing, and have checked the die setup several times to make sure it is correct. One question, if I were creating a secondary shoulder, would it not be difficult to close the lever? That is not the case. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl A small secondary shoulder would not likely result in difficult chambering providing that case was fired in that rifle preveiously.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl A small secondary shoulder would not likely result in difficult chambering providing that case was fired in that rifle preveiously.
Also a small secondary is not a bad thing. I f you have a secondary shoulder that guarantees you have not pushed the shoulder back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,
The most frequent problem with any of the BLRs is that the rack and pinion system is mistimed. When this happens the lever closes up all the way but there remains a gap between the bolt body and bolt head. Because of this the hammer has to not only move the firing pin, but the bolt body as well. In addition, because the locking lugs are really an interupted thread, the bolt head may not be fully rotated and excessive headspace may exist. As I said before this was always the most common cause of misfires in the BLRs that came into the shop so it may well be the case with yours. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information guys. Did a little experiment tonight, and checked out the seating of a resized case without the bullet. Redid the sizing die as per instructions (backed it off and checked out the seating in the chamber). It was tight against the chamber as the smoke black was smudged off the shoulder.BUT the lever needed an extra push to close all the way. I remember at the range that the lever would close easier than that without the extra "click". Hope to give it a try this weekend,but am interested in your input. Thanks Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that I took you guys advice and backed the resizing die off and gradually closed it down until the candle smudge showed it tight against the chamber. Also I noted that there was indeed a "secondary shoulder" before, but after this work tonight that was gone. Again thanks-Karl