Find
Notify
Tools

powder type
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I am just setting up to reload. I will be reloading 44magnum, 38special, 45/70 and 458 lott. How many different type powders will I need? Or is there one that will work ok just for target loads and getting started. Thanks
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One powder won't do it Dean. 2 could get you by. For the pistols,you could use Unique ,it will give you light to upper mid range loads in the 2 cartridges you mention. For the rifles you could use an oddball powder that I am fond of, Accuarte XMP-5744, It will give you good reduced loads in the Lott(which you will want and need) and trap door to midrange loads in the 45-70.

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tonto:

personally I do not think that you can get away one powder.You can probably use the 3031 IMR for the 45/ 70 and the.458. With a 405 grain bullet you will get approximately 2,000 ft. per second on the 458 with 64 brings the power. According to my Lyman handbook you can go to a maximum of 71 grains and giving you about 2258 per second. With the 45/70 38 and have grains will give you about 1,300 ft. per second. You can push this load to 1700 feet per second. I personally use this power in my 45/70 with of 405 grain flat nose bullet at somewhere around 45 grains and get about 1580 on the chronograph.

As far as you're 44 is concerned, I like to use a 240 grain flat nose propelled by either 4227 IMR or 23.5 grains of W.W.-296.

In my 38 special I use 2.7 grains of Bull's eye with of hundred and 48 grain wad cutter. This is a nice light target load, and you can shoot it all day without damaging yourself too much. I do not jacketed bullets in mine because it is a 357 and I prefer to use jacket bullets in those cases.

well I hope I was of some help to you, these are only my loads and my opinion. They do work very well for me. If you would like to contact me personally at any time feel free to do so. I load 18 rifle and six handgun calibers. My wife and I are both avid target shooters and hunters. We have been reloading bullets and pouring and resizing lead bullet for almost 30 years.

your comrade in reloading:

Jim. :

Posts: 21 | Location: Prince Rupert ,B.C. | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote