Find
Notify
Tools

Good dual use powder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Hi fellas. Im looking for a good powder to use in both 243 win and 6.5x55 swede. Im considering h4350. Anyone else use this in these calibers or have another suggestion?

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x-51:
Hi fellas. Im looking for a good powder to use in both 243 win and 6.5x55 swede. Im considering h4350. Anyone else use this in these calibers or have another suggestion?

In those two rounds any of the various 4350's or WW 760/H414 all seem to perform well, in very similar charge weights. I like the ball powders, because they are easy to use with a powder measure, and also occupy less space in the cartridge case.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what El D said. I think the 243 will be your limiting factor here. My experience with 6.5X55 is that it will do a good job with any reasonable powder from 4895 to 4831. I even burned recycled military flake powder in my 6.5 getting respectable results with 140s.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good choice. I use H4350 in my .260ai w/ good results across the bullet wt. spectrum. Another one to look @ would be IMR4831 & RL19 if you are loading the heavier bullets.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I think it's a good choice. I use H4350 in my .260ai w/ good results across the bullet wt. spectrum. Another one to look @ would be IMR4831 & RL19 if you are loading the heavier bullets.

I agree.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .243 does well with powders from 4895 to 7828

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbBeen having great performance with accurate data 86. actually a little slower than any of the 4350s, and deadly accurate. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder with the broadest use that I can think of is 4895. It may not be the best choice for many applications, but it covers an incredibly broad spectrum. I prefer Hodgdons version because it is temperature insensitive.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
I probably wont be using anything over 140 in the 6.5 with the occasional 100 in the 243. The reason I ask is I want to buy an 8lb. container of powder and those are the only rifle calibers I currently load for.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would probably go with H-414

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another vote for H414. Its what I use in my 6.5 works well with 95 Vmax's and 140 core lokts.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 75 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With Quote