New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been shopping for a tumbler, saw the one at harbor frieght $59, ehh...all that shit is china crap at harbor freight...looks simular to the lyman

Is the lyman 1200 tumbler a good one? Midway has it for $43, What is the 'auto flow' feature, that makes the 1200 $79?

Midsouth has the 'Smart reloader' tumbler for $37

Looking for the best cheapest$$ for cleaning resedue off pistol brass

Or give your recommendations for a tumbler. Ive never needed a tumbler for my rifle reloading

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used the Midway version for about 20 years has always worked for me. The "auto Flow allows you to pull a plug and turn the tumbler on it will remove all the media into a tray or holder so you don't have to sift.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Wish I had that (auto flow). I have the old Midway works great. I have a friend that bought the harbor freight tumbler for cleaning car parts. It works the same as any other one, don't know how long it will last.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've a Lyman 600 which has over the course of 15-16 years since been "upgraded" w/a Lyman 1200 tub package & Auto Flow. I recently purchased the Smart Reloader tumbler.

The Lyman has Walnut w/rouge in it and also a separate tub w/cramic for Moly (doesn't get used very often though) the Smart Reloader has corn cob media.

O.K.,you get what you pay for .... I'm sure the Smart Reloader will suffice but there is a World of difference in the motor noise level between the two. The Lyman motor is much quieter than the Smart Reloader.

So far, that's about the only differnce I have noticed; they both get the Job Done.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I bought myself one of these setups and will never go back to the vibratory tumblers.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Lyman motor is much quieter than the Smart Reloader"

Good to know

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one from Midway around 20 years ago. I don't know what model it is but it's still chugging along. I'd say I've gotten my $30-50 dollars worth out of it but I too cheap to buy a new one just to get a new one.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the size of the bowl, most of the tumblers are essentially identical, so buy the one with the cheapest price. "Quieter" necessarily means that the "vibrator" doesn't oscillate as broadly, meaning that the vibrations are lower in amplitude, meaning that such a tumbler will likely work more slowly. BTW: All the "vibrator" consists of is a weight hung on one of the fan blades of the motor which makes it bounce like an out-of-balance car tire.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old Frankford Arsenal tumbler is still going strong after about 20 years of being used 2-3 times a week. I guess it's pretty loud, but I don't know for sure-it lives out in the barn........

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
The Midway units of today are a far cry from the ones twenty years ago. Don't think you will get the same use out of one now that we got out of the ones we bought in the 90's.

Mine died 6 months ago.
I have a Lyman now.

Dillon has a good rep, but is pricy.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didnt see any "Midway" brand tumbler in their catologe or on the net.

Think Ill just get a Lyman tu2

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didnt see any "Midway" brand tumbler in their catologe or on the net

I believe they sell them under Frankford Arsenal now.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quieter= sit it on a rubber mat and put a pickel bucket over it.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frankford Arsenal

Thats Midways brand name eh