Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/06 w/150gr question
 Login/Join

posted
I will be working up a load for Hornady 150gr SST, using win brass and win primers. I have used IMR 4064 (52gr)in the past. After looking at Hodgdon H4350 and H414 I see I can reach higher speeds with less pressure. I have searched this forum but I still have questions. The rifle is a 700 dbl ss 24" (new). Which powder do you suggest I try? Is it wise to choose the powder with the lowest PSI and highest vol? I have a sweet load for my 308, 47gr of varget, 150gr CT silver tips, a compressed load which some say is bad. Is it? I would like to squeeze the most fps out of this round while holding a good group. I looked at stevenspage dot com and his max numbers are much higher than what Hodgdon or IMR has listed. I'll be sighting in in FL, 90f+ and hunting in GA 30-50F, are these temps considered extreme? Thanks for any help!!! Jerry

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I use H4350 exclusively in the 30-06. It's one of the temperature stable "Extreme" powders Hodgdon makes. Here in MT I'll often work up a load in the summer in the 80's or 90's and use it in October on antelope and on elk in Novemeber where it can get well below zero. Typical powders can really shift zero in those sort of extremes but I've not found H4350 doing so.

In my 22" bbl 150's go a bit over 3,000 fps with H4350 and give sub moa accuracy.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad, what charge weight are you using with the H4350? Is it compressed?

Thanks again..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be safe. There is no reason to push max. Check the balistic tables. That last 100fps gains you very little. Don't get into the "mine is bigger than yours" BS! Some loads get way past the pressure limit before they show "signs". If you want a mag buy a mag. If you want extreme in the 30-06, buy Light Mags or High energy. Practice with reloads.Hope I didn't sound too harsh. BTW, I use your 308 load with 150gn Power Points. It shoots to the same point of aim as factory PPs and Milsurp at 100yds. I have found that a below max of IMR 4350 and 165BTs gives me 2750fps and is plenty flat. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Deerchaser,

My Savage M110 loves 49 grains of H4895 pushin the 150 grn SSTs. MV is 2950 and groups are around .75 at 100 yards.

H4831 seems to work too.

Although, I have a buddy w/ a Model 700 30-06 w/ a 22" tube and his rifle will not shoot H4895 worth a darn. His seemed to like H380.

We all know that every rifle is diff. but, that's what makes reloading so fun and addictive.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Be safe. There is no reason to push max. Check the balistic tables. That last 100fps gains you very little. Don't get into the "mine is bigger than yours" BS! Some loads get way past the pressure limit before they show "signs". If you want a mag buy a mag. If you want extreme in the 30-06, buy Light Mags or High energy. Practice with reloads.Hope I didn't sound too harsh. BTW, I use your 308 load with 150gn Power Points. It shoots to the same point of aim as factory PPs and Milsurp at 100yds. I have found that a below max of IMR 4350 and 165BTs gives me 2750fps and is plenty flat. capt david

This isn't "mine is bigger BS". Nor do I care to buy a mag. If I want to push the max I will, my choice. All I wanted was a little info before I purchased anything for this load. I have been reloading for 18 years but I have never used H4350, just wanting some input from people that have used this powder with the bullet wieght I picked. I liked the 308 but didn't care for the gun (adl) so I purchased a bdl ss which doesn't offer a 308. As with the 308, I want the most from the 30/06. Good groups, high FPS, low pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always like IMR-4895 and 4064 best with the 150's, I get more velocity with H-414, but the accuracy with IMR is much better.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My old load for a 06 is IMR 4064 at 52 grs. IMR states that 51.2 is max. I never chronoed this load. I was looking for a few more FPS and a fuller case. Major, do you know what the fps are on your 4064 load? Grs?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten 3000fps in a 22" with 52grs of IMR- 4064, I can go up to 53grs in my rifle.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... looking at Hodgdon H4350 and H414 I see I can reach higher speeds with less pressure. ... Which powder do you suggest I try?

Hey Jerry, I've used both of those Powders in 30-06s and they both worked well for me. Each rifle is slightly different and they may both work great, one better than the other, or not work at all for you. The only real way to know, is to try them in your rifle.

Quote:

Is it wise to choose the powder with the lowest PSI and highest vol?

That is one of the first steps I take when getting ready to develop a Load for any new firearm. That allows you to have the opportunity for the best possible accuracy, at the highest potential velocity within the SAFE MAX Pressure limitation.

People that choose the faster Powders often get excellent accuracy as well, but the trade off is either reduced velocity or higher Pressure when it doesn't have to be that way.

Quote:

I have a sweet load for my 308, 47gr of varget, 150gr CT silver tips, a compressed load which some say is bad. Is it?

It doesn't appear to be bad, but once again this is unique to your specific firearm and the Cases.

Load 10 of them. Then measure the Overall Cartridge Length(which will probably be a bit different from cartridge to cartridge) and record the results. Let them set for a week or so and then re-measure. If the OCL has changed, then you do have a problem with that Load in those Cases. Not enough Neck Tension to retain the Bullet properly.

If there is no problem with the Neck Tension, shoot those same Cases 5-9 times and pay attention to the Primer Seating. If it gets "looser" as the firing progresses, the Load is too hot and needs to be backed down a bit. If you don't experience Loose Pockets, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that set of components in your rifle.

Quote:

I would like to squeeze the most fps out of this round while holding a good group.

Me too. The old SAFE MAX Load. And if it isn't accurate, then I'll continue to search for a Load that is.

Quote:

I'll be sighting in in FL, 90f+ and hunting in GA 30-50F, are these temps considered extreme?

They could be, but they are in the "good" direction. If anything, the Pressure will be slightly reduced at the lower temps. However, I've had excellent accuracy retention using both H4350 and H414 when going from 100deg Range days to 30deg Swamp days.

Other things can change in a rifle at those extremes and make you think it is one thing when in reality it is something else.

One example would be if you have a Termite Food Stock. They have the "potential" to move around due to temp and humidity changes. This could "mislead" a person into thinking the Load has changed significantly, when in fact it hasn't changed much at all.

We are really blessed with some outstanding Powders today. Just another excellent reason to try and develop a Load with them.

Best of luck this coming Season. Let us know how well those 150gr SSTs do for you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have acheived the best accuracy & velocity with Reloader 15 and both the 150 grain SST and 150 grain Nosler partition.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

PS, I really see no need for a 150 in the 06... me, I always use a 165, 180 or 200 and I doubt a 180 Partition or 165 Barnes X could be beat as the best all-arounder.

Brad,

150's are my bullet of choice when using the 06 for deer. Its either them or 180's for me. I save the 165's for my 308 or 300 savage since I seem to be able to get the same velocity from 180's as 165's in an 06. 150's are definatley up a good notch on the velocity scale from 165's and make fine deer medicine.

Deerchaser,

I know its not real popular, but Ive had some splendid results with W-760 and the 30-06. Very low SD over the chrony, good groups and the best velocities.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know its not real popular, but Ive had some splendid results with W-760 and the 30-06. Very low SD over the chrony, good groups and the best velocities.

760 and H-414 are the same powder, just different lots.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

760 and H-414 are the same powder, just different lots.

Now that you mention it, Im sure Ive heard that before. Probably costs less too, thanks for the reminder MC.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote