THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Suggestions on a reloading kit? newbe!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What should I buy to start reloading? RockChucker supreme master kit?

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthSniper:
What should I buy to start reloading? RockChucker supreme master kit?

Yes, this is the best starter kit, in my opinion.

You will have a quality press and accessories, plus a great customer service from RCBS to help you out if needed.

NorthSniper, keep hanging out on this site, and you will get "World Class" advise on reloading.
My self is excluded, of course. But, I have learned more here, than anywhere else. And I have really gleened some wonderful insite..sakofan.. [Wink]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The master reloading kit is all you need to get started, with the exception of lots of load manuals.

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sakofan, This looks like a great site as you say! I have heard the RockChucker supreme master kit was the kit to get, I also heard there are 2 kits that are very similar. Would it be RockChucker supreme kit vs RockChucker Supreme Master Kit? I noticed a post a while back and of course can't find it now that claimed a difference. Maybe the scale? Anybody have any thoughts on neck turning? I see there is no neck turning equipment in the kit or can I skip neck turning for now?

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Sakofan, This looks like a great site as you say! I have heard the RockChucker supreme master kit was the kit to get, I also heard there are 2 kits that are very similar. Would it be RockChucker supreme kit vs RockChucker Supreme Master Kit? I noticed a post a while back and of course can't find it now that claimed a difference. Maybe the scale? Anybody have any thoughts on neck turning? I see there is no neck turning equipment in the kit or can I skip neck turning for now?

.....I wouldn't worry about neck turning unless you have a custom gun/barrel with a tight chamber OR making wildcat cases....the neck turning is one of those "last hundredth of a inch smaller" things....the quality of the cases vary and some do much better with neck turning but in most guns and chambers it is one of the last things to do in super accurate varmint type loads......and with Lapua/Norma brass and the bushing style dies you can avoid having to neck turn just to get proper/desired neck tension and consistancy.....the RCBS equipment is super good and they are fantastic in customer support...later you might want to get some special type tools from Sinclair and similar speciality companies but you won't regret the RCBS equipment....some of mine is over 25yrs old and still going strong.....good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Redding BOSS kit seems to do wonders, it'll accept any 7/8x14 die, was made in a foundry where I used to work, and it is strong, and will work with rounds as big as .375 H&H! Cast iron O frames are the thing nowadays. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As Bigdaddy said, I would skip neck turning for now, and for me and my stuff, all together!!
It didnt do alot for me.

I dont know the diff between the 2 kits. I looked at them a while back, and cant remember what one had, and the other didnt. Maybe it was the scale.
At any rate, it is a great start!!
The only thing about RCBS that I'm not crazy about, is their dies.
Redding, and Forster dies are much better but, some people like Lee and others.
Look at some post in the achives, and see all the good and bad about dies, nad such.

What caliber are you reloading for??..sakofan..
Welcome to the great world of reloading!!

I see someone posted to get alot of reloading manuals....YES!! That's good advise!!

Safety first!! If you dont know...ASK!!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sakofan I will be loading for the 308 TRG-S Sako WarBird http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_sako.htm looks like a really good caliber -20 or so at 500yds. I think I'll go Barnes 150gr TSX for now and go 150 LazerHead http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lazerhead.htm for hunting after I figure a few things out like bullet depth and powder charge. I realize when I go to the lubriplated LazerHead that will change everything but I should be in the ball park anyway. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sakofan I will be loading for the 308 TRG-S Sako WarBird http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_sako.htm looks like a really good caliber -20 or so at 500yds. I think I'll go Barnes 150gr TSX for now and go 150 LazerHead http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lazerhead.htm for hunting after I figure a few things out like bullet depth and powder charge. I realize when I go to the lubriplated LazerHead that will change everything but I should be in the ball park anyway. [Smile]

Well, well, a Sako fan and a .30 cal. fan!! Excellant choice!
Thats a nice rig, my man!!
Never used the Lazerheads though. They look interesting.

Keep us informed as you go along...Good luck!!

...sakofan.. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
sakofan I will be loading for the 308 TRG-S Sako WarBird, looks like a really good caliber -20" or so at 500yds.

That is quite a bit of drop NorthSniper! [Wink] Shouldn't you be able to use the mil-dots for holding dead on?
The Barnes TSX is a great choice, I've been shooting them in my 7mm SAUM, 140 gr. boat tails, 100% weight retention & sub MOA. [Smile]
 -

[ 08-10-2003, 08:38: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote