THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How accurately do these forums reflect what people do and buy?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How accurately do these forums reflect what people do and buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How accurately do these forums reflect what people do and buy?

I was discussing this with another forum member. His opinion is that the forums are a poor reflection of what happens out there in guns/ammo buying world.

What prompted me to raise the subject was that Remington has discontinued the Sendero. However, the Sendero seemed to be quite commonly owned on the forums and always got reports.

On this site there are some obvious buying habits that are not reflected in the real world. For example, this site gives the impression that there is a 9.3 X 62 behind every second bush.

What are your thoughts, comments etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I think the average guy on this forum and stays here for a while, is not the average guy who shops for ammo and shooting supplies at WalMart.... or whatever the Australian equivalent is.

If the average person on this forum was that type,
we would have a lot of threads on the 243, 270, 308, 30/06 and 30/30 and that would be 90 % of the cartridges most people used and had any knowledge about.

So I think the "average" guy on here is a cut above the 'average" casual shooter and wannabe hunter.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They don't.

I know I sure don't have a Pre-64 M70 in 9.3X62 and Pac-Nor barrel and Jewel trigger with a Swarovski scope hunting some African animal with Woodleigh bullets and Lapua brass after using my chronograph.

But thats just me.
Guess I don't belong here. Cool

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that the average shooter would know enough to converse over 6 pages just about the 375Weatherby... nut These forums reflect the thoughts of enthusiasts who are concerned over rifle performance, not the average bang away hunters. But... we may reflect some trends like the move to longer barrels, big-bore rifles, premium bullets and reduced jacketed hunting loads.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

I think the forums where forums like General Duscussion etc get a big response probably have more shooters that represent the average buyer.

In fact if you take Australian Hunting Net General Discussion and Off Topic get the postings and have you noticed most on that site are 223, 243, 308 etc. and a 375 H&H is seen a cannon by most and anything bigger than 375 H&H is beyond the imagination.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Do you reckon any of the big companies pop an eye into these forums and make decisions or take notes based on us? If they did then we'd represent some sort of buying public. I think at best we may just be the idiots that fork out the cash to buy the overpriced CZ550s in .505Gibbs, and show up to shoot bunnies with them... Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
and then there are the ones like me Smiler using an old (1940 Ishapore SMLE .303) with old, now discontinued manufacture powder (Nobels rifle No 1), and who wants in the long run to get into casting his own bullets.

I'm not one of the magazine reading public rushing to buy the latest, beltedest, fastest, shortest magnum out.

quite a nitche market :P

Posts: 18 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303 Kiwi, You are right the 303 may stand the test of time. Probably safe to buy one now.
Myself I just bought a 30/40 Krag, having a ball.
good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375

I think that this forum is only really frequented by people who have an above average interest in not only hunting but the rifles they use, ammo, reloading etc and seek extra info on these subjects by means of the net.

A lot of guys I know who hunt have a 243, 308 or 30-06 or similar and do not want to know or have little knowledge of other calibers, rifle manufacturers etc.

With reference to Australia, the number of shooters per capita I think you would find is very low. Hell, most people here on the Sunshine Coast/Brisbane where I live do not even know there are Red Deer in the Brisbane Valley!! And most animals here (including Buffs) are shot rightly or wrongly with 270s/30-06s etc and very few guys seem to see the need for a bigger caliber.

As for the 9.3x62 - you must be refering to Aus and America. In Southern Africa and the Scandinavian countries there are plenty of 9.3s! Smiler

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
Con,

I think the forums where forums like General Duscussion etc get a big response probably have more shooters that represent the average buyer.

In fact if you take Australian Hunting Net General Discussion and Off Topic get the postings and have you noticed most on that site are 223, 243, 308 etc. and a 375 H&H is seen a cannon by most and anything bigger than 375 H&H is beyond the imagination.

Mike

Mike if using your example on AHN. The most popular forum on AHN is Australian Hunting, imagine that on an Australian Hunting forum. It appears that General Discussion about firearm and hunting related issues is the 2nd most popular.

Like you say the 223, 243, 308 etc are pretty popular. I would include the .270 in there as well as it appears most people favour these calibres.

I would not say the 375 H&H is seen a cannon, but it is large and not that many appear to own one. Anything larger is seen to be big but I would not call it a cannon. Most shooters appear to be sensible and buy what is needed for the job.

I agree that on AR there seems to be a great love of the 9.3 x 62. Me I would rather save and get a 375 H&H, some would just buy a matched pair of Weatherby's finest and be done with it.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my uneducated opinion, majority of the folks that frequent this site have an exceptional knowledge of rifles and ballistics(both the cause for epic debates...),and big bore nuts. Some have all 3 attributes going for them.

I think the videos and the reload data set the tone. I mean, in some of the videos they are laughing at the shooter before they even pull the trigger! People watch it, and a certain group flinches, while another says "Sure, I want that!!" And the reload data is pretty crazy too. Nothing like loading a 700 nitro till the primer falls out!

Maybe I have missed a few posts here and there, but I have not seen very many folks brag and post pics of their medium or small bore rifle. Looking in the big bores forum, there is a poster with a new rifle or unfinished project with pics and updates like their new file is a newborn baby at least once a week! Nothing wrong with that of course. When I get a new rifle, I watch T.V. with it for about 2 or 3 days if I cannot get to the range the same day I buy it.

Forgot to mention that most big bore nuts will spend the money to get the receiver massaged to be nice and smooth, and feed in a sandstorm, earthquake, volcanic eruption, pick one. Understandably there is a reason for the work, but most Wal Mart rifles will not function during the above mentoned natural disasters...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess that the majority of folks who hunt and shoot have no idea of CRF, Push-Feed, OAL, PSI, etc. ....nor do they care.

Each fall they take to the woods or fields ( with ammo from Wal Mart, etc. ) and have just as much fun as anyone else. It is how the remaining time is spent (discussing, arguing, BS'ing about firearms )that sets us apart...perhaps as a bit nuts, but generally fun to be around.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to 24HourCampFire that has a lot of keen big case/small bore blokes and Rem 700s are allowed and in fact favoured. Big Grin

Your own little circle of friends is non representative. Four shooters who I know very well there is not a 223, 243 or 308 among us yet these are three of the most popular calibres in Australia.

I agree with Borealis Bob that Push Feed and CRF is a non issue with the very large majority of shooters both in America and Australia and probably even more so in Australia.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that your average internet gun nut that sticks around the forums tends to be a bit above the average gun owner.

Please let me explain. The people here and places like 24hour that stick around seem to get a bunch of enjoyment from the technical aspects of the sport and obviously taking game. I know it has been my expirence that a person may pop in - ask a basic question "whats a good bullet for the 30-06, I only hunt deer" - get their answer and we don't hear too much from them again - the average magazine (outdoor life, petersons hunting, rifleshooter ect) keeps them going pretty well during the year.

Then you get to real deep gun cranks - there are few magazines out there that really cover or teach them a whole bunch of new things. Look at the conversations in teh reloading forums on pressures or wildcatting - whe was the last time you read that in Guns & Ammo? Sure you get things on benchrest or machining but those are hard to find at wally world. Those gun nuts congregate at places like this and I would dare say the level of knowledge is above many many magazine writers. Sure a mag writer can do an article on the difference between the .280 and .270 but its 800 words and all fluff about the animals they shot, performance ect but nothing much about the technics of the calibers. We find that here.

Would I say that the people here are a rep. of the shooting world? yes and no. We have both the "1 box a shells a year" hunter and the guy who is interested the real difference in say a 270 vs 280 argument, or like others said shooting a 700 nitro till the primer is falling out. The average guy in Gander Mountain, Sportsmans Warehouse, Wal-Mart (and out international equivelants) just isn't interested and the magazine world serves their interest level quite nicely. (the abundance of "how to clean your rifle" articles in the rags every year/month. When was the last time that was discussed with any deep conversation here beyond 10 posts, except when a more directed question as to cleaning after moly ect.) Techno gun loonies (being social animals) gather at places like this and we plot to take over Remchester to build the guns the way we want. We are not the average guy that market studies done by said company targets or even stumbles upon.

FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The general Aussie shooting bloke see's the 30/06 as a large gun, I have friends who think that.

These forums are for gun nuts I suppose.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An old shooting and hunting buddy of mine has owned 950 guns over the last half century or so. He does not have the internet but does read a lot. He has an outstanding memory for detail and that includes the value of everyday guns and rare ones too.

So he goes to gun shows and dealers and owns a gun for a while and then it's gone.

If you mentioned the 9.3X62 to him for instance he would shake his head no. He would buy one of course if the price were very low but it would be gone soon.

He keeps the few guns that his late dad left him and the rest are in orbit.

If someone mentions a premium barrel he will say that his Savage and Tikka's in .223 both shoot 1/2 moa and thats good enough.

He does stuff like look behind the counter at gunshops or ask what's in the back. He just sent me a picture of a new in the box Officers Model Trap Door (H&R) that he got for $325.

He is in another world from us and for sure price matters a lot. For instance he does not need a Rolex to know what time it is.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that most people here do what they do for one or more of three basic reasons:
1. Reload to save money (Big time in a round like a 7mm rem magnum)
2. Improve accuracy (a lot of benchresters here)
3. Have found reloading to be a relaxing hobby!

For me it is all three...But I also still buy a lot of "factory ammo" at walmart....only because it is rimfire ammo that I can't reload.

CheapGunParts.Com
The ONLY on-line store to specialize in Ruger 10/22 upgrades! And home of the Yellow Jacket Bolt Buffer!

Posts: 55 | Location: Mobile Alabama | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
you can reload .22

Or more accurately, Load them since they come as unfired primed empty cases.

Posts: 18 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun Companies are run by "Bean Counters".If it is not selling,or making a profit.Then its discontinued.Bottom Line...............

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that this and other forums do have an effect on what people do and buy. Many people who are getting into the shooting and/or reloading world seriously search the internet for as much info and advice that they can find. The shooting forums offer a place for people to benefit from those who have more experience. I know that I have purchased equipment based on the suggestions/experiences expressed in the forums and it has saved me a lot of time and money. I have also learned a lot about what to do and what not to do when reloading from these forums. The key is that everyone is eager to share and that it offers a place for people all over the world to get together and share their experiences.

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think in general the number of gun owners that do not frequent these forums far out number the people who do. That may have alot to do with the decisions made in the corporate gun world. Many gun owners are not "gun nuts" they are simply gun consumers. They buy guns based on whatever "the guy at Walmart recommends". Same guy can only recommend what they have in stock.....otherwise they sell no guns. I am a gun nut I read hundreds of posts on this forum and many others......I take alot from the experiences of others. What gun, what powder, what bullet, what techniques and a whole lot more. You could say it reflects a whole lot on what I do and buy. There in a ton of experience and ideas that prior to the internet was kept fairly close to the cuff.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote