Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another newbie question about semi auto
 Login/Join

posted
So I went out today and got all the stuff to reload for my S&W MP. Being as I am still new to reloading, and have never reloaded for a semi auto, is there anything different?? I am using some once fired brass. I have measured the length of the cases and they range from .841-.844.
Now for the questions
1. Do I have to trim these cases? if not, when do you have to trim?
2. As long as it is under the max case length am I good to go?
3. Is there any different process involved in the tapered crimp as to the roll crimp?

OK, i think thats it

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Do I have to trim these cases? if not, when do you have to trim?
2. As long as it is under the max case length am I good to go?
3. Is there any different process involved in the tapered crimp as to the roll crimp?

1; I don`t know the cartridge you are loading but as long as the case is below max you are OK. Trim when they hit max.

2; Straight walled semi-auto handgun cartridges headspace off the mouth. As long as you stay within the suggested min and don`t excede the max you`ll be OK.

3; When you taper crimp you just want to remove the flare from the case mouth. You may want a little compression of the mouth on the bullet but the idea is to iron out the belling done to help start the bullet. Be careful, as too much crimp will bulge the case wall behind the rimp and prevent the cartridge from feeding properly.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know. Both manuals I have, although full of information, aren't all that clear on some steps

Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
With autos, taper crimp.

Warren