New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 gr bullet vs 115 gr of same kind
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
100 gr bullet vs 115 gr of same kind, 115 was much more accurate.

I kinda thought that the length of a bullet had an impact on its accuracy. Now I am convinced it does.

I loaded 50 of Berry's 100 gr .355 RN bullets with the minimum recommended load and 50 of Berry's 115 gr .355 RN with their minimum recommended load.

I fired the 115 gr first in my little Ruger .380 LCP at a distance of about 10-12 feet. All but the first few were in the black.

Then I fired the 100 gr, none hit the black, they were terrible. I had to bring the target near me just to see where they were hitting. All were hitting to the left.

I used the exact same supported firing position.

I think the 115s were more accurate because the bullet is longer and thus more stable in flight. There may also be a benefit in that there is more of them to contact the lands and grooves.

I don't know how much of the difference in accuracy could be attributed to the two different powder charges?

What do you all think, is a longer (have more grains, same diameter) bullet inherently more accurate than a shorter (less grain weight) in the same diameter?

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote