New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing the Dillon Powder Measure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Dillon Powder maasure is a pot metal peice of crap whhen it comes to loading log powders. I have replaced the Dillon powder measures on both my 550s and my two 1050s. I have just bought the new Hornaday LNL case case actuated powder measures. They are machined and and drop loads within .01 every time. No spilled powder every 10th to 20th case. It operated very smoothly. Dillon needs to get on the stick and improve their product.Best money I have spent in a long time.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks a million for the tip, I get so PO'd at the measure on my 650 that sometimes I even use nasty words on it Mad Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc:

My vocabulary came straight from the Navy Handbook. Most of Dillons products are above average in there manufacture, but their powder measure is a piece of crap for anything other than pistol and ball powders.

Rustystud

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Dillon's powder measure and have found it to be at its best with flake and small stick powders like 4895. It does bind up with with ball powders, especially 296, and some big stick powders like 7828, however, I have found that the short cut and super short cut verisons meter better than their longer cousins.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Like most other mechanical devices, the Dillon powder measure is not a universal application tool.

With very short cut extruded powders such as Vihtavouri 133 and 135, it seems to work very, very well. I know several benchrest competitors who have had indexed adjustment knobs made/fitted to the adjustment screw on Dillon measures, and who use them in their competitive shooting.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote