New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 Casull Loading Data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for loading data on a 454 Casull for 270 Grain Semi-Wadcutter Cast Bullets. Can't handle a hot load but something in the +P category. Any recommendations out there? Shooting it out of a Ruger Bisley 454 Casull in a 6.5 inch barrel. Thanks for your time.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm casting these bullets for my buddy Pete/ tejas57 using the RCBS moulds. I don't have any data in my manuals for the 454 Casull but one member's recommendation was 11 G. of Titegroup. Considering that the max of Titegroup in 45 L.C. is 6.5, that may be a bit severe. It would be good to hear some reliable data from anyone familiar with loading this one. I am entertaining experimenting with Unique. That Bisley is a stout frame but I would have to work up + why reinvent the wheel?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you may not find any data, I'd start at 6 gr of Unique or Universal and work up from there. Seating depth makes a LOT of difference, so if you list the length of the bullet and how deeply you want to seat it, we could be more help.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Alas, once again since I don't have any data to work from yet so thus no C.O.L. I have planned on seating to the upper crimp groove. Then I will have a COL. Pete has the brass so I can't do anything here until I get that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
200's to 320's in 7.5" & 10" Freedom Arms 83 Premiers since the late 80's casting/shooting the 454 Casull's.

Load 45 Colt+ loads using 296,H110 or 4100.

StarLine brass would be your least expensive option.
Hornady brass lot variations require primer pockets to be cut/squared depending on primers used.
I use Rem 7.5BR SR primers in my Casull loads.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote