THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubond .277 140 gr OK for Cow Elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a combo mule deer/cow elk hunt booked this coming Fall in Wyoming and have a new .270 Weatherby which I want to use. Is the Nosler Accubond .277 140 gr bullet up to the job on the cow elk, or should I load up a heavier/stouter bullet? Thanks!

Joe

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'm sure it would probably work OK, but I'd still load up instead with a good quality 150 gr or maybe even the 160 Nosler. JMO...

Good luck...

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62,

You're probably right. I really want to use a CZ 550 9.3x62 for the elk, but with the lightest bullets out there weighing 250 grs (a Swift A-Frame or NorthFork) and a velocity of about 2,500 fps, I'm think I'd be limited to about 200 yds.

Joe

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I've used a 257 WBY the last two years for spike Elk, and both were one-shot kills. I limited my distance, and was extra careful on shot selection.
The .277 is fine, and the Accubond is the best of the plastic bullets I have tested in terminal performance. I believe you will be fine.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
People have been using the Hornady 140 gr Boat tail for this exact combo hunt you describe with great success....I think the 140 Accubond wil more than satisfy your needs. Just pick your shots as you would with any caliber bullet combo.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do not need a heavier bullet.The 140gr accubond will work fine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
As other have said the Accubond 140 gr should be fine for you,afterall people have used the good 130 grs Bullets with good results.

I think if you have any doubts you should ask Nosler themselves or at least load up some of 140 Partiton and used what shoots the best.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Stubble-load em up and let em rip!!!!!!

If you do your part there will be 4 feet in the air quite quickly......

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi Rottenend

I live in Wyoming, and I hunt elk every year. I'd say that the combo You have will work just fine. The only reason I can think of to shoot anything other than that bullet on cows is that at the velocity of a 270 Weatherby, if you hit bone, your likely to loose a lot of meat.
I would shoot a Nosler 160gr. Partition myself, just for that reason. But I have heard nothing but good about Hornady's new Accubonds. I have 2 friends who shoot them in 270s. They have both killed elk with them, and they both say they are the best Hornady bullets made, and as good as anything on the market. Goes in and out. Even on the big bulls, so a cow should be no problem.
What part of the State is your tag for?

SZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
SZ,

I booked the hunt w/S-n-S Outfitters through Cabela's. The tags aren't drawn until March (I think). The hunt is in the NE part of the state...but I don't know exactly where. I've also been thinking about the 160 gr Partition. You don't hear a lot about them being used, I think most folks opt for the 150, but Nosler must be selling enough to make it profitable. Hornady's bonded bullet is actually called the Interbond, Nosler's the Accubond. Thanks!

Joe