New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gold Dot HP not expanding in 2x4. . . .
 Login/Join

<Shootin' 4 Fun>
posted
I have some 200 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow Points that are not expanding when I shoot it at 2x4's stacked up. Is this typical or should I be trying this with a stack of soggy newspapers or some sort of GEL pack or is the Gold Dot not that good? This is out of a .45 auto 800-850 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Happy. Try the wey newspapers. Wood won't let the bullets expand.
Just out of curiosity. Did you ever live in the San Francisco Bay Area? I went to school there with a kid named Happy.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Shootin' 4 Fun>
posted
No, only been to San Francisco on Vacation, "happy" is just one of my many Internet "Handles"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Happy:

I don't know if anyone welcomed you to the forum yet. If not, welcome!!

As to your bullets not expanding, I have found that shooting some JHP into wood will not cause them to expand. It seems that sometimes, wood will fill the hollow cavity and in essence turn it into a FMJ. The same thing can happen when shooting into a simulated wall, i.e. drywall.

You could try the newspaper thing, but, for a 200 grain bullet, it seems that you are running them a bit slow. Usually, they run from about 925 to 1050 fps. You may just have to push them faster.

Ryan

[ 10-12-2002, 07:30: Message edited by: Big_R ]

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote