New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 Bolt Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Need loads for spitzer bullets. My Wife got me a Savage 30-30 bolt action for Christmas, and brass. I have bullets and wide range of powder, just need loads. Thinking bullets around 150 grains and down would do well. Any thoughts and/or loads?

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
load the spitzers the same as you would the same weight of RN or FN bullets.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WVBlue....In my model 54 Winchester, long, sharp-pointed spitzers don't work too well. They have to be seated extremely deep in the case to adhere to maximum cartridge length specs. Instead I load Speer 130 gr. hollowpoints for all my casual shooting. I have never tried them on deer; as I hunt deer with my 44 magnum S&W. Grant

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duikerman:
load the spitzers the same as you would the same weight of RN or FN bullets.

Ditto! The brass is not particularly suited for the high pressures that a bolt gun can take; but you can climb a bit above SAMMI max.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of these fine rifles

When loading for savage stevens bolt actions you can FORGET about spitzer bullets heavier or longer than a 150grn flat base. Even the 125grn nosler ballistic tip you end up putting all of the bullets bearing surface inside the neck. Another problem is max loads in these rifles tend to shoot all over the place, and when I say all over the place I mean 12" groups. I believe this is due to the ONE locking lug on the bolt flexing and not providing an even bearing surface with higher pressure loadings. In my rifles the best shooting loads are typically a couple grains from max.

Treat these rifles like a 30-30 and you'll be rewarded with outstanding accuracy. Try to turn them into a 300sav and you'll be in for a headache. People buy these rifles thinking they can turn them into a pesudo 308win and end up selling them out of frustration. For high performance 30-30 loads a 340 isn't any more suitable than a marlin 336, for that you need a single shot.

Another thing to keep in mind is all but the lighest 308 diameter spitzer bullets are intended to operate somewhere in the 308win to 300wm velocity envelope. Well beyond the range of even the most insane 30-30 loads.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information. Any loads then for the 30-30 from your own experience?

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes150 gr. Berry fn plated bullet, 12.3gr Blue dot. 1750 fps out of a mod.340; five shots you could cover with a nickle at 50 yds. Hardly any kick. Does well with other gas checked cast bullets. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of RustyNut
posted Hide Post
I just tried some of Berry's FP in a Uberti low wall single shot. Can't tell you have they did, I was shooting over the paper. Looks like I need a higher front site. Smiler

Posts: 24 | Location: MN | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesFYI! Have tried the Berry 110 plated in 30 cal. in a number of rifles without any success; completely opposite to the 150 gr. bullet. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

Ditto on those Berry's 150's. I love shooting
them in my 1885 single shot 30-30. This
group was with open sights.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote