Find
Notify
Tools

True or False?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
I was in the local sporting goods store today looking for 9mm bullets I could use with my Clays powder since I already have a bunch. I only found data for two bullets I could use, Speer GDHP 115. Or Sierra 125 FMJ. I could not find either. Then an old timer asked if he could help and I told him what I needed. He looked at a couple sets of bullets he had available and then at the data I had. He said that he's been reloading since the 70's and that I could use 3.5 grains of clays to load just about any jacketed bullet I wanted and would be fine. I said maybe I should just get some Bullseye, or Unique. He told me if I had allot of Clays not to waste my money and he assured me he would never tell me anything that would get me hurt. I left without making a decision. Can anyone else confirm or deny that 3.5 grains of Clays would not overfill the 115 grain FMJ flat base? That is likely what I would choose to if the choice were mine. The loads that list Clays I can't get bullets locally for. I hate ordering online, but I might have to. Sorry for the lengthy post and Thank You!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Clays data for 9mm here:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Yeah this is the same data I took with me, unfortunately the two bullets used in that data for Clays powder are unavailable here.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Have a look here:

http://stevespages.com/355p_4_124.html

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Have a look here:

http://stevespages.com/355p_4_124.html

Thank You, this is exactly what I needed!

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Steve is a good guy.
I use his pages a lot.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
also medic for future reference. you can use any similar bullet weight and type ie; round nose,swc, flat nose data and work it up. you will never have the exact same material as the manual as you do not have the chamber those loads were tested in.

i normally find the bullet i want to shoot. for example i have some montana gold 115g rn fmj bullets. i go to my manual and find data for a 115g rn fmj. i then proceed to start at the bottom and work my way up to a load im satisfied with.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sksshooter:
also medic for future reference. you can use any similar bullet weight and type ie; round nose,swc, flat nose data and work it up. you will never have the exact same material as the manual as you do not have the chamber those loads were tested in.

i normally find the bullet i want to shoot. for example i have some montana gold 115g rn fmj bullets. i go to my manual and find data for a 115g rn fmj. i then proceed to start at the bottom and work my way up to a load im satisfied with.

Thanks for the advice! tu2