New
Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Casull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi, I have Hornady"s 300gr HP/XTP (.452") Bullets I'm getting ready to seat, when I found them to have two cannelures. I would assume that the first one, closest to the pointy end is the one to crimp into. But, I'm not sure. If the first is the one to use, whats the other one for?
OH, I almost forgot, I'm loading .454 Casull for a Ruger Redhawk, 7 1/2" barrel.
Thanks Bob

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess, since the Casuall was developed in .45 Colt cases, and is the 1/8th inch longer... BS, you can crimp the Casually cases in one and the .45 Colt in the other... Many .38s used to have 2 grooves for use in either .38 Special or .357 Mag. Luck.

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Just seat the bullet to recommended oal per the manual and crimp there.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iiranger: I was thinking about that myself, but, also thought it might be chambered in some rifle.
Thanks for the input

juggerenaut76: Nether cannelure gives me the COL that the Hornady book calls for. Close, but no banana. I could pick the one that comes the closest to the books COL,OR, maybe wait till Monday and call hornady.

Thanks for the reply

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the Hornady book calls for is unimportant. Measure the length of your cylinder. If the cartridge will chamber without affecting cylinder rotation, it is the right length, as long as the charge isn't heavily compressed.