New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5 x 284 win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
do powders like RL-19 and H414 work well in this cartridge? I have these powders on hand and they seem to work well for just about everything that i reload for... I just want to be cautious with the O.A.L. and the type of powder, primer, bullets that i use. Is there a book that i can get that talks about wildcats and the best starting loads to use for them? Thanks for the help guys. I am really excited about building this rifle, so please excuse all of the questions.

thanks,
Britt

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
This is one of the better long range chamberings. Popular amoung the 1000 yard shooters.

I'd love to own one myself.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Boilerroom, Wait and see how the rifle is throated and then begin some load development. The cartridge is at it's best over distance and is a real crowd pleaser. Mine has a Hart 28" 1 in 9 twist and works great with the 140/142 VLD match bullets. But you will want to work up your own loads most likely with a 4831 or so burning rate powder. Watch how deeply you seat the bullets into the cases. Or when using the 107/123 weight bullets, try not to burn the barrel on the first day!. Velocities I get are about 3000 with the heavies, and 3300 with the lighter bullets. Acuracy has been phenomenal.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
My rifle is built on a commercial mauser and has 26 inch Pac-Nor barrel. You wont be dissapointed, use either IMR 4350 or Hodgon 4350 you can't go wrong with these powders, I'm using 54.0 gr of IMR4350 behind the 120 and 129's this is max. At 54.5grs IMR 4350 my bolt was getting hard to open. I'm using 6.5-284 and regular 284 winchester cases.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Santa Claus dropped off some reloading dies, brass and bullets in 6.5 x 284 win. Can someone give me some information like: O.A.L., powders that work best. What kind of performance should i expect? I have a barrel on order and will mount it on a Remington 700 long action.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Britt

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote