THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning brass without tumbler/vibrator?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
At the moment I can't afford to buy any of the machines used to clean brass. What I have been doing is using fine steel wool and giving them a polish. It works fine although time consuming.

This works fine but the one thing I have noticed is that some small pieces of the wool are sticking to the lube pad and therefor the case also. I've noticed some minor scrathcing on the brass also but yet to notice any in the sizing dies.

For those of you who use alternative methodes of cleaning, could you share you ideas with me. [Smile]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
I use Birchwood-Casey case cleaner. It works pretty well. Not much of a shine but the cases are very clean.

This article has some info about it:

http://www.realguns.com/archives/033.htm

ZM

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Bingo

Just what I was looking for Zeke. My local guy here even carries other Birchwood products so I'm in luck.

Thanks. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used "Nevr-Dull" which is a treated kapoc -type of material. Sold in many hardware stores for use on brass doorknobs, etc., it shines brass up nicely.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Use 4-0000 steel wool,Try Imperial sizing wax, you use very little and easy to wipe off. Good lucky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I bought a tumbler, I put my cases in a cloth bank bag and ran them through the washing machine. It did a good job of cleaning them, but it didn't shine them up much.

Rem. 222

Posts: 516 | Location: Ar. | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try a cheap frankford arsenal/midway tumbler about $30 from midway.
time is money,and its a few bucks well spent.
visit your pet supply store for corn cob bedding as a cheap media.
you could also throw some media into a coffe can and shake for a few minutes.

Posts: 28 | Location: phoenix az | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could try 3M ScotchBrite microfiber cleaning handpads, the maroon color. I use it to clean the carbon residue from the outside of case necks before neck sizing. This is to get them clean enough to fire again not to make them look unfired.

Just one 6x9 inch pad has lasted for years.

Tiny scratches won't hurt anything.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Steel Wool is quick if you use it in conjunction with the LEE case holder/drill chuck tool and a cordless. Spin the case, apply the wool, run a neck brush in and out....Ready for Lube.

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even quicker than the Lee is a taper plug in any handy. I find a bit of handy scrap abit over case mouth size, cut off a couple of inches, chuck it in the drill, and taper it a bit with a file. Steel, aluminum, even wood. They all seem to work.

Just hold the case in whatever you are using to clean with and slide it up on the spinning taper until it grabs. Lets you polish the case head which the Lee does not.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
Dish sope and water! Works great, just let em dry good. I clean my black powder guns the same way. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay i have not tried this but i will the next time i need to clean some real dirty brass.i saw this on PBS this weekend a guy talking about cleaning with stuff in your home.He mixed fabric softner with salt and warm water to disolve the salt.He dipped some items madw of silver,gold,copper the tarnish was gone instantly.I'm trying it on brass just to see what happens.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wheelgun101:
Okay i have not tried this but i will the next time i need to clean some real dirty brass.i saw this on PBS this weekend a guy talking about cleaning with stuff in your home.He mixed fabric softner with salt and warm water to disolve the salt.He dipped some items madw of silver,gold,copper the tarnish was gone instantly.I'm trying it on brass just to see what happens.

make sure you let us know if it works My ammo will be clean and smell fresh as a daisey! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I clean mine with a splash of Simple Green and hot water. Let'em soak till the water is about cool. While they're soaking, swirl'em around a little bit. I do all this in a gallon jug with a wide mouth. Takes about five minutes. I set'em out to dry on a towel, turning them every once in a while to insure complete drying.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be real leary of any of the chemical methods and I damned sure would not use some unkown substance "as seen on TV".

You simply have no way of knowing what it is doing to the structure of the brass.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I got an old Ice cream machine from a 2nd hand store for 5 bucks and a box of corn cob media. Throw in the cases, put it on its side and plug it in. Out comes polished brass.. [Wink]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I got an old Ice cream machine from a 2nd hand store for 5 bucks and a box of corn cob media. Throw in the cases, put it on its side and plug it in. Out comes polished brass.. [Wink]

Now this is cheap. You get the cheap of the year award. [Big Grin]