Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading equipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I have been reloading for a month or two, but I'm sure there are plenty of little things I'm missing. Right now I have pretty much the bare bones:
Press
Dies
Scale
Trickler
Primer Pocket Cleaner
Powder Funnel
Shellholders
Hand Primer
Case trimmer and gages for various calibers
(Uniflow measure on it's way)

What are some other things I could use to make my reloads better/easier?

Thanks,
Tyler

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like a good start, tyler - i'm assuming that you have at least one loading manual.

one thing that might come in handy is a decent (not necessarily expensive) digital caliper. i bought one at an auto parts store for about 25$, and it measures out to the nearest .xxxx; good enough for anything i'll be doing.

also helpful is a bullet puller. i got one from the franklin (frankford?) arsenal that works just fine. it does take a bit of practice to get the "rhythm" right, but it's all in the wrist. RCBS makes exactly the same thing and it is a pretty green, but it is also a few dollars more.

i'm sure that others will chime in with other good suggestions as well - the main thing to remember is that anything that will help consistency and/or assist in being organized can't be a bad thing.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have reloading manuals, a bullet puller, and a non-digital caliper (analog?). Knew I forgot something. Powder thrower will make things sooo much faster.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Plan on a micrometer one of these days.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkID, OD Chamfering tools, Bardahl, Lots of shelves, hand depriming tools, pre printed load info and container labels, Many different sizes of plastic square or rectangular boxes with lids, a realy well constructed loading table, and a reloading hand tool box or drawer, various sizes of wooden dowels, a 32" or longer 3/16" diameter and 1/4" diameter mild steel rods, good seats of proper height adjustment and mobility, adequate lighting in proper places, an organized shell holder rack, a case tumbler is a definite pluse. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a great resource for what's needed and what's not.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dannewberry/dannewberrysopti...development/id7.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recommended this before and I will again, a stuck case remover.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more components, more time to shoot em all up Big Grin Wink

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'm looking into getting a case tumbler, which model should I go for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
Thanks, I'm looking into getting a case tumbler, which model should I go for?

I've got one from Midway, it's been in use for at least 12 years and has worked just fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case Lube makes everything smoother
I know everybody uses one brand or another .

Several years back I made a nifty little Jig to hold cases in # 50 per rack small , medium , large . They set primer end out with a sliding cover, so as to cover the case neck or shoulder area . It would cover the entire cases if I so choose to do so . Any way I cover the neck and shoulder spray Bo-Shield . I wear Nitrile gloves and roll the cases in my fingers as I place them into loading trays . Loading trays hold shells case mouth up , so lube NEVER runs onto shoulders . As we all know they need to be in that position for Loading . Into the turret around and around , loaded they go . Gently sliding down the chute in and on to a bin with a cotton cloth .

NEVER have stuck another case or seen dents or dirt scratches . I also keep my Dies real clean and lightly lubed and covered when not in use .

I used to place them in a flat pan spray what ever brand lube on them roll then repeat . I found by using Bo Shield I needed 1/5 as much lube and it did a better job IMO .Least wise I've never stuck or dented another case .

The reason for the gloves is , I like to keep my hands and fingers clean . When shells are loaded I wipe everything off with a cotton terry towel . I now polish cases maybe after every 5-8 reloads . The brass just stays cleaner and doesn't seem to tarnish like it did before .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote