Find
Notify
Tools

winchester primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hey guys, i'm going to start reloading this week. my first cartridge i'm starting with is the 8mm Mauser. all the loads i've seen (using IMR powder) are with federal or cci primers. i would like to use winchester primers. my question is- does using a different brand primer (ie winchester as opposed to cci) alter pressures, velocity, accuracy, etc.? i am new to this, so any input is greatly appreciated. thank you.

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONly a problem in my opinion if you load up near max pressure. Some tell me they have noticed differences but i personally have not seen it.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
i will not be loading to max pressures. just looking for accuracy with a hornady 195 grain bullet, (similar to a military load) not looking for extreme fps or muzzle energy.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Use whatever primer you want, as long as it is designed for the case. However, as with all loading techniques, start low and work-up slowly.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Where do I get 195gr. Hornady 8mm bullets ? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

<eldeguello>
posted
my question is- does using a different brand primer (ie winchester as opposed to cci) alter pressures, velocity, accuracy, etc.? i am new to this, so any input is greatly appreciated. thank you.

< !--color-->

Yes, it does. The change of ANY component CAN and usually DOES alter pressure and velocity somewhat. Best practice when switching a component in any given load is to start on the low side and work up the load again, just as you would if trying a new combo of powder, primer and bullet for the first time, as Steve R. said. It is NOT LIKELY that the mere change of primer brands will make a known safe load dangerous, but it is conceivable, depending on just how hot the load was originally!

For example: I have a 175-grain bullet load in my 7mm Rem Mag. using IMR 7828, WW cases and F210 primers which gives 3050 FPS @ 10' with the Nosler Partition bullet, 2950 FPS @ 10' with the Sierra 175 PSPBT, but only 2820 FPS @ 10' with the Remington 175-grain Corelokt. The only difference is the bullets.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Changing bullets will have more affect on pressures than changing the primer. I've found you can sometimes get better uniformity which = better accuracy but seldom do you see vel. swings of 50fps when switching brands of primers. If you are near max. load then pay attention especially if you decide to go to a magnum primer, back off your load & work up.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Spencer,do you have a walk in location ? I'd rather stop by than pay the shipping and handling you tried to charge for the order I tried to place.I really had a hard time placing the order. Never ran into that before. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred is right. Bullets do have more effect on pressure, but changing primers will change things. I have a load worked up in my 300WM using CCI primers. I wanted to switch to winchester primers, but accuracy deteriorated, even working up from 1 grain below from what I was and working up in .2 grain incriments (not saying winchester primers are bad. They are just as good as any out there, but my powder/bullet/case combination didn't like them). for the magnum primers at least, winchester and Fed primers are hotter than CCI 250s and can create slightly higher velocities. I don't know about for large rifle.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
bartsche, buy 'em here:

http://www.grafs.com/shopRegularproducts.cfm/startItem/76

No shipping charges and about $2 cheaper.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that even 8 1/2-120 LR primers from Winchester are HOT. In fact hotter than Fed 215's so be careful in anything smaller than a magnum case.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have found that even 8 1/2-120 LR primers from Winchester are HOT. In fact hotter than Fed 215's so be careful in anything smaller than a magnum case.

I remember reading an article about primers in one of the gun rags many years ago. Someone had done tests of how "hot" various primers were. In fact there were photographs of the ignition-flame from various primers included with the article. As I remember, Winchester primers were the hottest, Remington the least hot, and CCI and Federal were in the middle -- this is for regular (non magnum) primers.

This was a long time ago, however, and I'm going solely on my memory of the piece. I don't know whether those results would be the same today, nor how much difference there would be if magnum primers were also included in the tests.

As someone else noted, I think more variation in velocity comes from different bullets -- say two different 180 gr. bullets in .308 caliber -- than from different primers, although there will be some difference between different primers.

Saeed also did primer tests; his results are included in a file entitled "The Effects of Different Primers on the Load," under the FAQ section:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BYF - There is a new issue out about Winchester primers that has been discussed on this forum. The new Winchester primers are a little smaller for some reason and tend to fit the case very loosely.

I didn't believe the initial poster about this until I opened a new box of Win primers and tried it. It feels like the primers barely engage the side of the primer pocket when seating. As for me, I don't like this for nada.

For this reason I won't be using any more Win primers.

From now on, I'll use anyone BUT Win primers.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
bartsche (roger)- hornady's part number is 3236. that is just the bullets. go to their website, and you can get info on it. they have them at a few gunshops here in k-zoo, mi. they also have a full cartridge with their 195 grain bullets, i have some of that on order. i think the reason is that remington's model 700 classic series is chambered in 8mm mauser. i hate to say it, but yes, remington finally has done something right!

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
wow! thanks to everyone that replied to my post! everyone here seems real knowledgeable. i'm glad i came here. thanks again everyone!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BYF - There is a new issue out about Winchester primers that has been discussed on this forum. The new Winchester primers are a little smaller for some reason and tend to fit the case very loosely.

I didn't believe the initial poster about this until I opened a new box of Win primers and tried it. It feels like the primers barely engage the side of the primer pocket when seating. As for me, I don't like this for nada.

I experienced the same thing. Didn't make me feel too comfy.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote