New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm PPC/USA
 Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
What is the difference between 6mm PPC and PPC/USA? Is the chamber cut differently? Neck dimension? I have a lead on some Sako brand 6mm PPC USA ammo and don't know if it will work in a Ruger PPC chamber. Thanks, Bob

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You lucky dog!

Yes, your Sako brass was made for the factory chamber. (.270 neck). You will need standard, off the shelf PPC-USA dies, too. If you have not bought, consider a Redding body die and a collet or bushing die.

Consider yourself lucky, as most of these rifles are shooters.

Once you wear out your Sako brass, the only current production brass available is Lapua 220 Russian, which must be necked up, turned, and fireformed (it has a loaded neck dimension of about .271, larger than the Saami spec of the USA chamber), or reformed 7.62x39 brass (ditto on the turning). The Lapua brass does have about 5-7% more volume.

The benchrest PPC chamber is essentially a tight USA chamber, requiring a small base die. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Dutch, Thanks for that info. I was confused. I thought the .262 neck was the USA and the .270 was the "PPC benchrest" I had it exactly reversed. If you were building a 6 mm PPC today which neck would you get, .262 or .270? Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I suppose that depends on how well you like to turn necks...... The Lapua brass I bought is extremely uniform, and really did not need turning. I suppose .270 shooting with brass that's around .268 loaded up would minimize the amount of turning to do.

All the benchresters use .262 reamers, but the reason they do it is because "that's what they do". I believe the .262 originated with the original Sako brass, wich needed to be turned to .261 to totally clean up.

What the additional .008 neck thickness does for or against accuracy, I have no idea. I do know my .270 neck shoots better than I do, but that's varminter accuracy, not benchrester.

I don't like turning, so I think I would just go with a .272 or so neck, if I had the choice, and forget about turning all together. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dutch, Some other people have said the same and it seems reasonable to me. Also means I could shoot the Sako ammo as long as my chamber doesn't have that benchrest "small base." That's the way I'll go.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Thanks Dutch,
Bob, as soon as the guy gets back to me with the neck dimension, I will get back with you. Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt, I've been emailing another fellow that has experience with the PPCs. He says the SAAMI spec is .270 neck so if it says 6 mm PPC USA it's got to be .270 which will work as long as I go with the spec reamer and not the benchrest. He says the benchrest reamer not only gives a .262 neck but a smaller base ahead of the rim. So obviously if we are going to use the rifles for hunting and plinking the spec reamer is best, no neck turning and the possibility of finding Sako ammo now and then. If there's any of the ammo left in December I want some. Thanks.