Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

resizing 6mm
 Login/Join

posted
I'm having a problem reloading for a 6mm in a 700 BDL. When I resize cases, they require some significant effort to chamber, even before reloading, and show brightness where the bolt contacts them. Fired cases (Winchester) come out without a problem, and can be rechambered with minimal resistance. I have checked OAL and several measurements on the case with a dial caliper but can't figure out the problem. Smoked a resized case and on chambering saw contact on the shoulder. I'm using RCBS dies, and full length resizing. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated!

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pat, It sounds like you just don't have the Full Length Resizing Die screwed into the press quite far enough.

But before you move anything, the first thing to do is Resize a "Fired" case, wipe off the Lube and see if the empty case will chamber easily.

If chambers easily, then the problem is the way you have the Seating Die set up.

If it still chambers with some resistance, loosen the Lock Ring around the body of the Full Length Die. Then screw the Die 1/8 more turn into the Locking Ring, retighten the Lock Ring to the Die, screw the Die into the Press and Resize another "Fired" case.

Occasionally there is some slack in the Press and you have to put the Die in a bit farther. But, I do like just a bit of resistance on my cases as I close the Bolt which is called Partial-Full Length Resizing(P-FLR). That totally eliminates any Headspace problems.

It is also a good idea to use RCBS Shell Holders with RCBS Dies, etc. And reread the Instructions that came with the Dies.

If it is a Seating Problem, let us know and we will help you there.

Are you trimming your cases?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course if the case was returned to it's cartridge dimensions and the chamber is to specification then it would go in easily.

Are you bringing the shell holder up tight to the base of the die? Is the die a full length sizing die or a neck die? Are you using the right shell holder which is #3?

It seems that new brass and factory loads chamber ok. I assume this.

When a case is FL sized it gets longer in it's headspace until it hits the shoulder of the die and only then is it pushed back again.

For some reason your die is not pushing the shoulder all the way back.

Of course it could be anything. The last time I got into one of these on the net two brothers had cleaned their rifles together and switched bolts!

Get back to us and or call RCBS Monday morning.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If a fired case goes back in easily, then you size it and then it is difficult to chamber, it is NOT because you are not sizing it enough!! It may be being stretched in length when you drag it back out of the sizing die, by the expander button. Remove the expander stem, then resize a case which was just fired, and see if this one will go back in. If so, you probably aren't lubing your expander button enough.

[ 04-14-2003, 03:49: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
If a fired case goes back in easily, then you size it and then it is difficult to chamber, it is NOT because you are not sizing it enough!! It may be being stretched in length when you drag it back out of the sizing die, by the expander button. Remove the expander stem, then resize a case which was just fired, and see if this one will go back in. If so, you probably aren't lubing your expander button enough.

I don't agree. It's possible the overall length is too great but I don't think so.

There is a greater chance that he is using a neck die or the wrong caliber than it's too long OA.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had tried resizing without the expander button, and chambering just the resized case. Die was adjusted to touch the shell holder (RCBS #3).
What I didn't think about was some slack/play in the press. I screwed the die in about another half turn(past touching) and tried another case. It was better but still a little tight. Cut out a piece of heavy paper (80 weight I think) to fit inside the shell holder between the bottom of the case and the shell holder. (theory was to raise the case up a bit more in the shell holder) Resized again and it chambers nicely. Did some measurements on the shell holder and suspect there may be a little wear in it over the years (25 years or so!). What I will do is get a new shell holder and confirm that was the problem.
Thanks for the help, got my brain working again.
Pat

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Brennan:
I What I will do is get a new shell holder and confirm that was the problem.
Thanks for the help, got my brain working again.
Pat

You might try to file just a little (1/10 mm) off your shell holder. I had a similar problem once with a 6,5x57R.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote