New
Find
Notify
Tools

What closes the case mouth Bell?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Lee case mouth expanding die for putting a bell in a case mouth.

I'm going to start reloading the 22 Hornet with Sierra 45 gr Hornet bullets these are flat based.

I've read that this case is very thin and that sometimes a case mouth could be crumpled by the bullet insertion/seating process.

I will be using a Lee Hornet die set and also a Forster Ultra bullet seater die.

If I bell the case mouth a little, how do I close the bell, is this step done in the bullet seating die, or should I use the Lee factory crimp die to close the bell.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about any of those contraptions .

When a case has a bell formed for seating a bullet into , the bullet seating die closes down on that

bullet thus closes the case around the bullet . There are different seating dies however some form

roll crimps Etc. .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenjoy:
If I bell the case mouth a little, how do I close the bell, is this step done in the bullet seating die......

Yes. See diagram on page 2 of this pdf. Forster Ultra Micrometer Bullet Seater Die

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't you might want to try putting a chamfer on the inside of the case mouth. It ain't much, but it's gotta be better than trying to jam the bullet in it against a square mouth. Does anybody make a BT bullet in that weight? Maybe go to those...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Don't know about any of those contraptions .

When a case has a bell formed for seating a bullet into , the bullet seating die closes down on that

bullet thus closes the case around the bullet . There are different seating dies however some form

roll crimps Etc. .

archer archer archer

That about sums it up. And like any brass that is "worked", one must consider annealing or risk a higher loss rate from split necks. The less brass is "worked", the better as far as I'm concerned. Lyman "M" dies do this exact thing for lead bullet shooters. A good chamfer tool (45 degree) should do the trick too.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Just be careful not to bell the mouth too open. That can cause the case to hang up on the mouth of the seating die. Less is better on belling.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't think i'd bell the mouth on a hornet case. i think if you do that all you're going to do is get a bunch of neck splits. just chamfer the mouths and with the forster die you'll be OK if you go slow at first

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't recommend the boattail for your hornet, unless you have a twist faster than 1-16. i tried 40grain balastic tip with boattail thinking they would load easier. they did but groups opened up. i believe they are to long for 1-16.

Posts: 30 | Location: north platte, nebraska | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies.

I will fist try just the inside chamfer and use the Forster Ultra Micrometer bullet seater die.
Only if I run into crumpled case mouths will goto the mouth belling die.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've probably loaded at least a couple thousand Hornet rounds. Never belled the brass or resorted to boattails. Just make sure the case mouth is chamfered, go slow, and pay attention. Every now and then a case might get crunched, but hey, it comes with the territory when you handload the Hornet.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the careful chamfering of the case mouth vs. belling. I use and recomend Lyman's vld chamfering tool. creates a long smooth transition into the case.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
On thin walled cases like yours, it helps to seat the bullet and then crimp in a seperate operation. Less pressure at one time. The Lee bullet seating die taper crimps first, then turns into a roll crimp.You can take a light bell out this way with a light taper crimp. Careful chamfering of the case mouth will help some. Dont over do it.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote