Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day all from across the Big Pond,
I am still needing some info on which powders to use in my 505 Gibbs with 600gr Woodleigh PP's and solids.
I have tried RE22, RE25, H4350 and Retumbo.
Recoil with H4350 seems a lot sharper than any other powders used so far.
I would really like some QL data for the above powders and H1000 for 2300fps, the pressure doesn't concern me as the rifle and brass are plenty strong enough.

If someone could kindly run some data, and, or suggest another powder that will not require any filler, please feel free to comment.

I have worked up to 148gr of Retumbo which gave 2550fps and almost broke my shoulder, it jumped 200+fps with only a 2gr powder increase.

Thanks in advance all, this is frustrating for me.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The only reasons I can think as to why one smokeless powder would kick more than another relate directly to physics: either because it gives higher velocity or needs a lot more powder to get the same velocity. What other explanation can you imagine?

I don't suppose you are 338User or have read his 2012 post on Reloader's Nest Forum, which I found just by googling 505 gibbs load data and following the thread to the bottom. He listed loads with AR2209, which he says is the same as H4350, and suggests IMR4350 might give the same velocities with fractionally lighter loads - I doubt you could feel the difference in recoil, though.

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, after testing today, 2209, even at the same velocity with LESS powder, kicks way harder than 2225 or RE25.
The recoil is way faster and sharper, quite unpleasant at 2100fps. 2225 is docile in comparison.
Yes, I do have 338user's data, but it just isn't giving me the desired results.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A faster powder reaches peak pressure quicker while a slower powder is slower but then the weight of powder is linked by physics to felt recoil. Between the two powders tried it will be a trade off between these two aspects with H4350 obviously coming out ahead on the peak pressure build giving more felt recoil.

And yes H4350 is nothing more than repackaged AR2209. Sometimes IMR4350 and H4350 exhibit similar burn characteristics in some cartridges while in others IMR seems to be a little faster.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:
Trust me, after testing today, 2209, even at the same velocity with LESS powder, kicks way harder than 2225 or RE25.
The recoil is way faster and sharper, quite unpleasant at 2100fps. 2225 is docile in comparison.
Yes, I do have 338user's data, but it just isn't giving me the desired results.

Cheers.
tu2

Interesting. I must admit I only use 2209 in a my 338WM and do not kid myself I can tell the difference between it and my old Win 785, which needs on average about 10% more powder. Obviously I am an insensitive soul, barely able to notice the difference in recoil between 210gr Noslers and 300gr Woodleighs - they all kick at maximum loads, just in slightly different ways.

There may be a psychological aspect to all this, of course, in which case you have answered your own question: since all of these loads supply much more power than needed for most DG purposes, use the one that seems to kick least to you; and don't overload it for tropical uses.

Posts: 5093 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote