New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway primer pocket uniformer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used the Midway primer pocket uniformer and the flash hole deburring tool and what do you think of them?

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got the primer pocket uniformer a few years ago and love it, if it's still the same one. The cutter is carbide and is adjustable for depth. It has both a small primer and large primer cutter, works good by hand and in a lathe at low rpm.I have not used there flash hole deburring tool.
Randy

Posts: 38 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I just got the flash hole deburring tool from Midway. And yes, it works...if you can stand the boredom.

What troubles me most about this sort of thing is that recent studies are indicating that all this fanatical case work such as we are talking here is pretty much nonsense and the only thing to come out of all this extra work is carpal tunnel surgery...which I've already had in one hand. [Mad]

So, now that I've GOT the tools you ask about, I'll probably never use them. I feel pretty safe doing this as I've loaded many 10s of thousands of rounds of ammo without a problem.

I think the issue here is not do these tools work as advertised...rather the REAL question is what's the point? Is there anything REALLY to be gained? For that I have some serious doubts.

Muchado about nothing, my friend. [Smile]

[ 08-01-2002, 17:40: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chuck, I use one made by Whitetail Design that I've had for quite a few years. It is just part of my normal routine now and it works great.

Actually, it works quite well for a couple of things. Obviously it works well for actually Squaring the Primer Pocket in relation to the Casehead and it creates a uniform depth. Having the same depth is a benefit because you get used to seeing the top of the Primer at a certain position and visually recognize if something is wrong with the Primer Seating quickly.

It is a great tool for removing the Primer Residue from the Pocket. You don't need to wrestle with various styles of Primer Pocket cleaning tools when this works great.

And, one of the great side benefits is it tells you if the Primer Pocket is "Shortening" due to too much Pressure. It is just one more "Pressure Indicator" you can watch for. As Primer Pockets "widen", they also "shorten". By paying attention to how much "new" material is being removed after firing, you soon get a feel for the strength of the last Load(when used with other Pressure Indicators).

I agree with P45 that it seems there is a current trend to do as little Case Prep as possible. Fine with me if no one else does it, but I will continue to do mine.

Having Precision Handloads is an accumulation of a lot of little jobs/tricks, not just tossing stuff together. I just won't give up having the level of "confidence" in my Loads that comes from doing things in a slip-shod manner.

But, for those that want to go the shorter route, I'm all for them as long as they are SAFE!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your input, at least I didn't waste my money. Next time I will ask before buying.

Chuck

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
I have the midway uniformer but rarely use it. I found that if you buy the uniformer for the rcbs trim station (about $10) it can be chucked into a drill and it works smoother and much faster. (I can't say why--it just does.) Instead of cleaning the pockets with a brush it works great to hit 'em with the drill and uniformer--they get cleaned and uniformed in a quick operation---probably about 20 shells in 3-4 min.