Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm mag brass won't eject
 Login/Join

posted
I bought my son a left hand browning 7mm mag A-bolt. The problem I'm having is the brass gets stuck in the chamber after firing. This is with starting loads with just about every powder that you can put in this thing. I have tried I would say at least a dozen different powders. The brass is all cut to "trim to length". I have seated the bullet down to what factory loads are, hasn't helped. The brass is getting stuck right above the belt. You can see where it is getting stuck in the chamber. This gun is really accurate so I need to know how to fix this. Am I doing something wrong when I'm resizing or what. I know the people on this forum will help me out.

Posts: 19 | Location: Minn | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
How far down are you resizing it? You might have to turn your sizing die down 1/4 of a turn to set the shoulder back on the case just a bit. I do this on most of my cases to ensure chambering goes smooth.

I screw my sizer die down until it contacts the shell holder at top stoke and then turn the die a additional 1/4 turn or until the brass chambers smooth in your gun. This will set shoulder of the case back just a tad...common practice.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I turn it in 1/4 turn after it hits my shell holder, just like my speer manual and rcbs tells me to. The brass has always chambered fine,it's after I shoot that I start to have problems....

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Couple of questions for you...

#1. Did it do this with factory ammo?
#2. Does it do this with heavier loads?
#3. Does it do this with unfired rounds?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
#1- no it does not do it with factory ammo
#2-The heavier the load, the worse it gets
#3-No problems with unfired rounds
#4- thank you for trying to help me out

one of us
posted Hide Post
What load are using?

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, since you have no problem with factory ammo, and you have no problem with your resized and unfired ammo, it is not a mechanical problem with your dies or your press.

That leaves one thing...

#1. Your powder scale is off calibration.(Since you have stated that you are using "starting loads" for the 12 different powders, and they all pose the problem, yet you don't have the problem with factory ammo.)

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:

That leaves one thing...

#1. Your powder scale is off calibration.(Since you have stated that you are using "starting loads" for the 12 different powders, and they all pose the problem, yet you don't have the problem with factory ammo.)

If Turko77 is like most of us, he is loading for more than one caliber. If is scale was off far enough to cause this type of problem in his 7MM Mag then he should see signs of pressure with starting to medium loads in other calibers as well. He made no mention of this. I for one do not have a clue, but, I don't think his scale is the culprit.

Maybe this could help? Just a thought.

http://www.larrywillis.com/

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have two scales, rcbs 505 and a dillon,check powder weight often,same.It is not my scale,I reload for alot of other calibers and have no problem(I really do double check with both scales)I wish it was. I am shooting both 140 and 160 nosler partitions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What load are using?

I suggest IMR 4350 @ 61.0 with 160 gr
63.0 with 140 gr

Fed 215 primer good load in my 7mm Mag.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
If you can, borrow another die and try it.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be damned if I know then...

But I have the following suggestions:

140's:
RL-25 From 66.5 grains to 71.5 grains
CCI-200 Primer

160's:
Retumbo From 65.0 grains to 71.3 grains
CCI-200 Primer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, had a buddies rifle presented this issue. Handloads were sticky to stuck depending on the load yet single fired factory ammo present no such problem. Everything was done correctly and worked up from the bottom, there were no signs of pressure on the chrono, case, primer pocket, etc. I suggested to take it to my gunsmith for a once over, as i was at a loss. It turned out the chamber/bolt face required a light ream and the problem was solved. No problems since and he is shooting some stiff handloads now.

May or may not be the culprit, just a suggestion based on a similar experience.